PDA

View Full Version : Lock Handle

bobtom
03-07-2015, 08:45 AM
Hey guys
I had a problem here. I went to lock the head down, and the handle came off in my hand,
I have been trying for two days to get the thing back on. I just can not get the rods lined up
(and in the holes) so that I can put the screw back in. This is about the worst design I have seen
in the system. It would have been so easy to put pins or keepers on the end of those rods.
They just will not stay in the holes so that I can screw the cup on. One end or the other
keeps popping out, ( to short from bend to end?) Help...

Bob Tomasino
Bobtom

bergerud
03-07-2015, 09:04 AM
Are you sure you have the parts the right way around? Have you looked at (page 5):

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

bobtom
03-07-2015, 09:19 AM
Yes I have the parts diag. in front of me.
Thanks

fwharris
03-07-2015, 09:51 AM
It does take the right combination (alignment and luck :) ) to get it done. I spent well over 30 minutes of ^*&))!! and then it just jell into place.

bobtom
03-07-2015, 11:34 AM
I agree. my luck has not been running to well lately.
Thanks for the input. I was beginning to think I was missing something.
Bobtom

Mugsowner
03-07-2015, 07:26 PM
There may be a chance of just putting it back together, as it did just fall apart. From what i can see in the parts drawing. The rods being double bent on the handle end, would mean they get installed first then the single bent end inserted into it's hole in the lockdown clamp arms(64-65).

Mugsowner
03-07-2015, 07:45 PM
Just went and looked at these parts in my machine. There are 6 socket head shoulder screws(63) holding the lockdown clamp arms(64-65) to the head. Three on each side. You only have to lower one side to fix this issue. Lower one arm by loosening the three screws on that side. Remove the rod the the hole and remove from machine. Install the handle on the rod that is still in machine. Now installed the removed rod on to the handle. Insert the rod into the hole that you remove it from. Tighten the three screws that hold the arm. Install the retaining screw, cup washer, o-ring protector, and o-ring. Looks like less than a half hour job and you are back carving again. Just a note all screws involved in this project use a 4mm hex key.

bobtom
03-08-2015, 10:59 AM
Thanks to all that replied. I will try this latest on my machine and will let you all know how it turns out.
Once again Thank you all for taking the time to respond.
Bob Tomasino
Bobtom

jaroot
03-09-2015, 07:28 AM
Being all in parts is probably not a good thing but I've not used the lock in years.

bobtom
03-10-2015, 11:22 AM
Hey guys.
Success. I finally got it back together again.
I will be checking that screw for looseness on a regular basis.

To all who answered with advise, I thank you.
It was greatly appreciated, and the advise was invaluable.

Bob Tomasino
Bobtom

Mugsowner
03-10-2015, 06:35 PM
Great, glad to hear your back in the game. jaroot you should use this feature, it does serve a major purpose, as it holds the head to keep it for moving from vibration during the carving process. The machine will run and carve without using the clamp and will even carve well like this, but I would hate to find out after a long carve that the head vibrated down and destroyed the carve. I recommend locking the head.

jaroot
03-15-2015, 12:09 PM
Thanks for your suggestion. I used to get real worried about it when I would notice that I had forgotten to set it. However years ago Al Who suggested that it wasn't a big deal and with about 500 hours of carving I've never had a problem with the head vibrating down. We have experienced just about every other "error" in the book. We don't use it as much any more, which is why I've not been as active on the forum, but we still find things now and then to carve.

Great, glad to hear your back in the game. jaroot you should use this feature, it does serve a major purpose, as it holds the head to keep it for moving from vibration during the carving process. The machine will run and carve without using the clamp and will even carve well like this, but I would hate to find out after a long carve that the head vibrated down and destroyed the carve. I recommend locking the head.