PDA

View Full Version : March 2015 Project of the Month - The Celtic-Irish Charm Box

mtylerfl
03-02-2015, 04:30 PM
Hello,

This project features the classic Shamrock design on the lid as well as decorative Celtic weaves on the lid and front panel. The three leaves of the green shamrock can represent a traditional meaning going back hundreds of years. One leaf is for FAITH, the second for HOPE, and the third for LOVE. Perhaps the most well-known meaning was imparted to the shamrock by St. Patrick, who compared the plant’s tri-part leaves to the Holy Trinity.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The Celtic-Irish Charm Box is about 5" tall x 7" deep x 9.75" long.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Front_Back_Side.mpc
• Lid-and-Side.mpc
• Charm_Box_Bottom.mpc* (optional)
*(You can cut the box bottom yourself, if desired. The box bottom size will be about 0.75" x 5.375" x 8.203" )

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Front_Back_Side: 0.75" x 11” x 22"
Lid-and-Side: 0.75" x 9.2" x 22"
Charm_Box_Bottom*: 0.5" x 5.5" x 17.5"
*(full board size if you run this mpc)

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Hinges and screws (I used ‘No-Mortise’ hinges from leevalley.com part#OOH6012)

4) Drill, sandpaper, glue, epoxy, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Charm Box made from Select Pine:

• Three coats full-strength Zinsser SealCoat
(sanding between coats)
• Brushed Minwax Emerald Green Stain on Shamrock
• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Carrington
(applied as a glaze - brushed on, wiped, dry brushed only on box exterior and lid front edge)
• Several coats of Gloss Krylon Clear Acrylic spray
• Two coats of Flat Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

mikemi
03-02-2015, 06:55 PM
Looks like another great project Michael. Thanks

Mike

PSQRD
03-02-2015, 08:13 PM
Michael, looks awesome! With St. Patty's day coming up and having a few Irish friends, I think this will make an awesome gift. Thank you!
Paul

mtylerfl
03-02-2015, 09:20 PM
Thank you, Mike and Paul! I'm very happy to hear you'll enjoy the project!

Bigtyme
03-03-2015, 07:24 AM
Great project, Michael. I can see this project being modified to fit a great number of uses. I really like the design.

dbemus
03-03-2015, 02:09 PM
Michael,

Another great project! I like the curved sides and the multi color finish. Hinges are attractive also. Thank you!!!
dbemus

sunmiztres
03-03-2015, 02:48 PM
Looks like a great project. When does CW send the email to download the project? I know last month they sent an email on the 2nd to download.
Thanks Michael. I always look forward to the projects and learn a lot on how you make certain things.

mtylerfl
03-03-2015, 03:06 PM
Thanks again, everyone! CarveWright sends out the emails the during the first week of every month. If I get the files to them early enough, then it's usually closer to the 1st of the month, but it can be anytime during that first week.

lynnfrwd
03-03-2015, 03:10 PM
We generally try to get it out before the 5th. That's our goal, anyways.

I checked with Chris D...he is getting it & CarversClub out.

rcdages
03-04-2015, 08:57 AM
Very very nice Michael.

One could use just the lid carving for a number of different things.
I think I'll carve the lid and put a short Irish saying under the shamrock.

Outstanding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .............. :>))

dongear
08-01-2016, 10:10 AM
Hi,

This is a wonderful project. Is the pattern available?
Thanks,
Don

mtylerfl
08-23-2016, 03:15 PM
Hi,

This is a wonderful project. Is the pattern available?
Thanks,
Don

Thank you Don! Yes, the project is available from the following link:

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=25168&cat=&page=1

Enjoy!