PDA

View Full Version : How do do cut-outs on 1/4" stock.

TurtleCove
02-24-2015, 08:29 PM
So, what's the general drill, to accomplish cut-outs (piercings?) on thin 1/4" stock?

I produce a lot of 1/8" and 1/4" solid boards for folks, in all different species. I've got a customer, that needs some odd shapes cut out of some thin stick, and it should be easy with the Compucarve.

So, what's the drill? Do I simply take my 1/4" board, and stick it to some 1/2" pink foam with hot glue, or dbl-sided tape?
Then, what do I tell the software? That I have a 1/4" board or 3/4"? And then I just need to make sure my depth is deep enuf to go all the way thru the 1/4", right?

fwharris
02-24-2015, 08:38 PM
So, what's the general drill, to accomplish cut-outs (piercings?) on thin 1/4" stock?

I produce a lot of 1/8" and 1/4" solid boards for folks, in all different species. I've got a customer, that needs some odd shapes cut out of some thin stick, and it should be easy with the Compucarve.

So, what's the drill? Do I simply take my 1/4" board, and stick it to some 1/2" pink foam with hot glue, or dbl-sided tape?
Then, what do I tell the software? That I have a 1/4" board or 3/4"? And then I just need to make sure my depth is deep enuf to go all the way thru the 1/4", right?

Design it as 1/4" stock and place it on a carrier board, not sure about the foam board though. Make sure you set the tab heights as tall as you can go to prevent break out. I just tape down the board edges as sometimes the double sided tape is to sticky and you might break you pieces trying to get them unstuck. At the machine you might get a prompt about cutting through project or board. Select project.

mtylerfl
02-25-2015, 09:55 AM

Read pages 2 through 5 of the following Tips & Tricks for the illustrated, simple procedure...

Designer 1.131 New Feature Highlights – ISSUE 12 September 2008 (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Sept08.pdf)