PDA

View Full Version : V60 and V90 bits

jab73180
02-24-2015, 10:58 AM
Why doesn't LHR offer the V60 and V90 bits with carvewright adapters?

lynnfrwd
02-24-2015, 11:04 AM
I assume you mean CarveTight adapters? They are steel shafts and use the 1/4" split collet & 1/4" rubber stop collars to fit into the CarveTight Spindle.

MAKE SURE you read the DESCRIPTIONS for products as this information is shared there.

jab73180
02-24-2015, 11:54 AM
OK, so why can't you put carvetight adapters on them? Just because they are steel shafts? Why not lightly weld them together? Can I buy just the adapter then?

bergerud
02-24-2015, 12:30 PM
Why doesn't LHR offer the V60 and V90 bits with carvewright adapters?

I think that is a good question. I thought that when they first introduced the carvetight spindle that they did have carvetight adapters on all the fancy bits. It sure would be more convenient. Maybe it is cost or maybe the steel shanks of the fancy bits are not manufactured with enough precision for the press fit. Or maybe it is just too hard to press them on since they do not fit over the end of the bit!

If I used the carvetight, I would certainly give it a try. With the heat method, one can put the adapters on without pressing on the cutting edges. My only worry would be if the adapters did not fit tight enough. (In that case, I would use loctite.)

bergerud
02-24-2015, 12:32 PM
OK, so why can't you put carvetight adapters on them? Just because they are steel shafts? Why not lightly weld them together? Can I buy just the adapter then?

I think you can:

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20583&cat=&page=1

jab73180
02-24-2015, 12:40 PM
I think you can:

http://store.carvewright.com/product.php?productid=20583&cat=&page=1
So what's the deal with that? Great idea, but is it to loose to use on carving bits? Does it use set screws or something? That wouldn't matter in my instance, but maybe worth a try. :D

bergerud
02-24-2015, 12:58 PM
I think that that is the standard adapter and would work just fine. But don't you have an adapter on a broken bit you could try?

lynnfrwd
02-24-2015, 02:24 PM
Scanning probe adapters are the ones that are typically too large of a hole for carbide carving bits.

(I don't know why they didn't offer them with CT adapters as opposed to the split collet. I'm sure there was a good reason.)

jab73180
02-24-2015, 02:50 PM
Scanning probe adapters are the ones that are typically too large of a hole for carbide carving bits.

(I don't know why they didn't offer them with CT adapters as opposed to the split collet. I'm sure there was a good reason.)
I'll have to check my scanning probe to see what size it is.

bergerud
02-24-2015, 03:35 PM

The description of the scanning probe says with carvetight press on adapter so I assume that is what it is as opposed to the split collet.

lynnfrwd
02-24-2015, 04:05 PM
Sometimes, I just offer clarification...not to start a dispute.

The same device that we use to press onto the carbide bits is used for the scanning probes, HOWEVER...ones that have too big of a hole for the carbide bits, are put to the side to be used as scanning probe adapters, because they can tolerate the larger hole.

jab73180
02-24-2015, 05:25 PM
Sometimes, I just offer clarification...not to start a dispute.

The same device that we use to press onto the carbide bits is used for the scanning probes, HOWEVER...ones that have too big of a hole for the carbide bits, are put to the side to be used as scanning probe adapters, because they can tolerate the larger hole.

ok, so why cant you press the steel shaft bits into carvetight adapters? you have piqued my interest now thats all.

lynnfrwd
02-24-2015, 05:30 PM
ok, so why cant you press the steel shaft bits into carvetight adapters? you have piqued my interest now thats all.

I don't know. Let me see if someone can tell me.

lynnfrwd
02-24-2015, 05:34 PM
Technically, there is no reason why you couldn't, except then you would have to purchase an adapter for each steel shank bit instead of purchasing & using just one split collet. HOWEVER, we do not have a process to press them onto the larger decorative bits without damaging the blades.

Also, some people are using their own decorative routing bits; not the ones we sell. The split collet makes it possible for them to use with ease.

jab73180
02-24-2015, 05:46 PM
Technically, there is no reason why you couldn't, except then you would have to purchase an adapter for each steel shank bit instead of purchasing & using just one split collet. HOWEVER, we do not have a process to press them onto the larger decorative bits without damaging the blades.

Also, some people are using their own decorative routing bits; not the ones we sell. The split collet makes it possible for them to use with ease.

makes sense. i havent used the split collet so i dont know how easy or hard it is to use.

fwharris
02-24-2015, 07:51 PM
makes sense. i havent used the split collet so i dont know how easy or hard it is to use.

The split collet is very easy to use. Just slide it on the bit shaft and install it in the chuck.

jab73180
02-24-2015, 08:03 PM
The split collet is very easy to use. Just slide it on the bit shaft and install it in the chuck.
Do you use the stop collars.

lynnfrwd
02-24-2015, 08:14 PM
They are easy to put on too and yes you need them so the bit stops at same place each time you insert the bit.

fwharris
02-24-2015, 08:39 PM
They are easy to put on too and yes you need them so the bit stops at same place each time you insert the bit.

As she said! :)

cedarwoodworks
02-25-2015, 08:40 PM
I wish the 60 and 90 were with solid adaptors and not the split. I feel I have to almost turn the bolt to far to strip off in order for bit not to fall out to stay in the split collet. Anyone ever try to shim it up to stay without having to tighten to much. Larry

bergerud
02-25-2015, 09:26 PM
I do not think it is possible to use the press on adapters with the steel shank bits from the set. My 90 from the set (as well as other 1/4" shanks from the set) measure a little small and the press on adapters would not be tight enough. In fact, I can get the adapters on by hand without any heat or force. Carbide bits have very precise shank diameters whereas steel shanks seem to vary more. I have other steel shank router bits which would work. One would have to be careful. No go with my CW set.

blhutchens
02-25-2015, 10:13 PM
If you are going that rout why not buy 1/2" shank v90 and v60 bits and don't use an adapter ?

jab73180
02-26-2015, 05:19 AM
If you are going that rout why not buy 1/2" shank v90 and v60 bits and don't use an adapter ?
Just ordered a couple.