PDA

View Full Version : Which machine to save?

dehrlich
02-22-2015, 08:39 AM
I need to make a choice and I would like some opinions.

Here is the deal. My old A machine that I started with began to have problems... during a carve it was running rough... hard to explain but it was "pulsing", kind of like a hot rod with a big cam idling. Everything else was ok, just the bit wasn't running at a steady RPM like it should. It was at that point I got the CS machine and put the A machine aside to fix later. I tried a different cut motor with no change, so I'm thinking maybe the X termination board or even controller.

Now then, I also have another A machine that I was given free of charge by a guy that never learned to use it and just wanted to get rid of it... the machine has 7 cut hours on it. In perfect shape except one of the ears where the in feed table bolts on is broken. So do I take the parts off this machine and put on the older machine to get it running, or do I take the upgrade parts (Rock chuck, Z upgrade) and put on the machine with less hours. I know from experience that just because it has less hours doesn't mean there won't be other problems from not being used.

What would you do?

Bigtyme
02-22-2015, 08:46 AM
To me, if the A machine with only 7 hours has no issues and your other A machine does, I would certainly lean toward moving the upgrades to the lower hour machine. Another option would be to run a few long carves through the less hour A machine to see how it performs before a final decision ....

bergerud
02-22-2015, 09:29 AM
I would upgrade the old machine. The broken 7 hour machine is a goldmine of "new" parts. Use it to trouble shoot and replace parts as needed on the old upgraded machine. That way, you get the most out of what you have. Besides, the base is broken on the 7 hour machine.

dehrlich
02-22-2015, 11:29 AM
I would upgrade the old machine. The broken 7 hour machine is a goldmine of "new" parts. Use it to trouble shoot and replace parts as needed on the old upgraded machine. That way, you get the most out of what you have. Besides, the base is broken on the 7 hour machine.

I was kind of leaning the same way. And as far as the broken base, one could either epoxy a washer on to hold the bolt, or take it off and build something into your stand to support the board. Thanks for the comments.

fwharris
02-22-2015, 11:39 AM
If your "free" A machine still has the old QC but has the broken out feed tray ear and you are thinking of setting it up as a good carver from the parts from your old A machine including swapping the base out it is easily an 8 + hour job just to swap out the base. You have to basically dismantle the machine to do so.