PDA

View Full Version : Dust Collector not grounded

First Sergeant
02-21-2015, 12:46 PM
Does anyone run there system with a dust collector that is not grounded? I ask this because I just installed my DC insert and have no clue how to ground the dust collector with it. Any help would be appreciated.

DocWheeler
02-21-2015, 01:04 PM
What kind of dust collector and duct work?

fwharris
02-21-2015, 01:05 PM
Run your ground wire from one of the frame bolts on your dust collector. Coil the wire around your DC hose up to the machine and the DC-INSERT. Attach the wire to any metal part of the machine like the mounting bolt of the DC-INSERT.

mtylerfl
02-21-2015, 02:32 PM
Does anyone run there system with a dust collector that is not grounded? I ask this because I just installed my DC insert and have no clue how to ground the dust collector with it. Any help would be appreciated.

I do not ground my dust collector (a modified Harbor Freight unit), other than it is grounded to the common ground via the plug and outlet. So far, no evidence of any problems (no arcing or anything like that).

My shop vac is different - static builds up almost instantly and it will arc like the dickens. It stays FAR from my machines when they are powered up. I would not use my shop vac for a dust collector vacuum.

dehrlich
02-21-2015, 03:00 PM
All depends on the ducting. If you use PVC or plastic hose, need to ground for sure. Metal duct is ok, but expensive. I run a 4" PVC for my main system and have bare copper wire running inside the pipe for ground all the way through. On the CW I have it wrapped around the hose and a bare end that sits between the clear cover and the dust scoop. Seems to work pretty well for me.

Digitalwoodshop
02-22-2015, 01:53 PM
Do a search on dust collecting as you will also find many pictures and ideas too.

Mugsowner
02-22-2015, 10:57 PM
I would not suggest running a dust collector without a grounding system. Static and saw dust do not get along well and every now and then temps can flare. Metal piping is the best and easiest to ground,but also pricey. Plastic is common,but must have a form of grounding ability. Wire may be used, there is also a tape that is used in the HVAC world for sealing duct work with an aluminum backing that can be use for grounding and works very well. Plastic blast gates must have a jumper to connect each end together. Static can build up high enough to jump a couple inches. A proper grounding system stops the build up of static by giving it a source to unload.

flyingemt
02-22-2015, 11:03 PM
Myself, I concur with the three prong grounding of the dust collector. However, with the amount of $$ I have in two machines, and Dust Devil inserts, I have grounded against the wire inside the 4" tubing and grounded it that way. The wire hose clamp holds it tight with no worries.

scootertrash
02-26-2015, 08:24 PM

I have mine connected to my DC with cheapo aluminum dryer hose. I used a piece of aluminum tape to tape it to a grounding point (oh yeah, hack-o-rama). No zapping so say what you will about my approach lol

fwharris
02-26-2015, 08:28 PM
I have mine connected to my DC with cheapo aluminum dryer hose. I used a piece of aluminum tape to tape it to a grounding point (oh yeah, hack-o-rama). No zapping so say what you will about my approach lol

Sounds familiar!