PDA

View Full Version : Need someone to make patterns

First Sergeant
02-20-2015, 07:51 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for someone who will make patterns, I am willing to pay obviously. I carve for military members almost exclusively and always have some new design they want done that is usually off the internet. Also, any recommendations on how to start doing this myself so I'm able to have a faster turn around. Any help would be appreciated.

bergerud
02-20-2015, 08:03 PM
Give some examples of the types of patterns you are taking about.

bjbethke
02-20-2015, 10:23 PM
Does anyone have recommendations for someone who will make patterns, I am willing to pay obviously. I carve for military members almost exclusively and always have some new design they want done that is usually off the internet. Also, any recommendations on how to start doing this myself so I'm able to have a faster turn around. Any help would be appreciated.

Welcome to the CW Forum, I have a Department of Defense DVD - it has well over 600 Pattern file on it. Send me a "PM" (Private Message). With your e-mail. I can send you some sample files to show how I save my patterns.

Alan Malmstrom
02-20-2015, 10:30 PM
I make a lot of military patterns: http://store.carvewright.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=50

First Sergeant
02-20-2015, 11:39 PM
745837458474585745867458774588BJ, you emailed me your DVD yesterday, I hope to receive it by tomorrow. Really looking forward to see all the designs. Right now I have specific request and need someone to help me out.I emailed you earlier, if you wouldn't mind I have a few designs I need done. I wanted to attach my images but it is not the most intuitive thing to figure with the lack of the "paper clip" icon.

oscarl48
02-21-2015, 09:01 AM
First Sergeant. I am relatively new to this. I also wanted to learn how to do pattern making so I'm trying to learn the basics now. For me this is for fun and a hobby so doesn't really matter how bad my patterns are but I am actually learning they aren't terribly hard if you have a few basic tools and basic knowledge with a few software tools.

There are different ways to make patterns.

The way I am making them is with 3d models. For the last year I have been trying to learn 3d modeling and again because its a hobby I was unwilling to spend a few thousand on a processional level 3d software package so I downloaded Blender 3d (free). Blender 3d is a monster. There is a steep learning curve but when you have the basics you can hit the road running. You can get a bas relief add on for Blender for 30 some dollars to create depth maps that you can then import as an image into CW or you can save the model as an .stl and then import into CW using the stl importer. The stl importer is an add on to CW which will be a cost. I still use both methods depending on what gets me the better result. (stl importer 90% bas relief 10%).

As examples the spartan shield took me about 30 minutes to build in blender (only because I am still really new). For the second shield (bottom) I used CW blurring in the editor to smooth it out a bit and to give a different look. You have total control on the look you want to achieve. The rifles took me 3 hours each to build in Blender and maybe another 10 minutes to clean up in CW editor. The helicopter was an early model when I was starting out and that took a long time but like everything else you get faster the more experience you get with it.

It is a ton of fun and I can see my patterns are getting better. Not quite there yet but I can see the finish line.

AlBCuttnWud
02-21-2015, 12:28 PM
I make a lot of military patterns: http://store.carvewright.com/manufacturers.php?manufacturerid=50

Just browsed through….the F-18 tail pattern is awesome. Are you for hire? I have a Navy base patch I'm looking to have a pattern made. IF not, no worries.

Alan Malmstrom
02-21-2015, 03:36 PM
Just browsed through….the F-18 tail pattern is awesome. Are you for hire? I have a Navy base patch I'm looking to have a pattern made. IF not, no worries.

I am for hire. I have a way I calculate costs. Objects drawn in x and y are .48 cents each ( I combine simple objects). Giving rounded height or sculpting is .96 Cents per object (I combine simple stuff too). I try to average $15 dollars per hour. But I'm fast. The cost really depends on the detail of the job. I accept payment through paypal and send out patterns through email. If you want a cost quote then send me your email through the Personal Message function of the forum. Also I only do work that I have an image sent to me on.

DianMayfield
02-21-2015, 04:17 PM
And he does great work :):

Alan Malmstrom
02-21-2015, 10:28 PM
Thanks DianMayfield. I've seen some of the stuff you have and it looks pretty good also.

And he does great work :):

First Sergeant
02-25-2015, 07:24 PM
I have found this forum to be very helpful and the generosity of everyone here is extraordinary. I have found people who are great designers that do great work and charge very reasonable prices. Also have had patterns just given to me which is even more amazing. As I continue to build my business I am continually looking to acquire or purchase military/patriotic themed patterns, particularly those relating to the Army. Any continued help is appreciated. If you have patterns already built that you would like to sell or just pass along I am always interested. Thanks again everyone.

eelamb
02-25-2015, 07:43 PM
Try this site http://www.cncmilitaryemblems.com/

ET24
04-08-2015, 02:31 PM
Hi Alan, My son and I have just got interested in the Carvewright machine. My son Neil is getting himself familiar with the digitizing process, but we know this will take some time to get comfortable with this. Are you for hire to digitize a project for us? We have the prototype made, but we need that digitized so it can be written to the card. Other projects later would be from a picture, is that possible? We need some one to help us and point us in the right direction. Thanks Earl from Illinois

lynnfrwd
04-08-2015, 02:38 PM
Hi Alan, My son and I have just got interested in the Carvewright machine. My son Neil is getting himself familiar with the digitizing process, but we know this will take some time to get comfortable with this. Are you for hire to digitize a project for us? We have the prototype made, but we need that digitized so it can be written to the card. Other projects later would be from a picture, is that possible? We need some one to help us and point us in the right direction. Thanks Earl from Illinois

In order to insure that Alan gets this message, you may need to send it as a PM (or Private Message). Click on his name on one of his posts to see his User Profile and select Send Private Message.

Mike58
04-08-2015, 02:47 PM
I have found this forum to be very helpful and the generosity of everyone here is extraordinary. I have found people who are great designers that do great work and charge very reasonable prices. Also have had patterns just given to me which is even more amazing. As I continue to build my business I am continually looking to acquire or purchase military/patriotic themed patterns, particularly those relating to the Army. Any continued help is appreciated. If you have patterns already built that you would like to sell or just pass along I am always interested. Thanks again everyone.

yes! although I have been a member for several years, I have only in the last couple of months began my journey. First post for me was over 7 years after becoming a member. I have received PM's and several have chimed in with help, ideas and more. To those of you that "live here" and monitor the forum and give your time and support to those of us that come for help, encouragement and sometimes to brag a little - I Thank You! We are each as smart as the sum of us here. It really is amazing to see people take something someone post here having trouble with it and them fix it, or advise what is wrong and help TEACH others. Already feeling apart of the "family";)

zan29
04-08-2015, 04:10 PM
If you need a specific pattern that no one can help you with than just email me and I'll send you a quick quote.
info@suzannewoodworking.ca

Suzanne