PDA

View Full Version : Designer 3 not responding and crashing when saving a project with the snap to grid on

sunmiztres
02-16-2015, 11:07 AM
This happens if the snap to grid is on and/or if anything on the workpiece is highlighted. This has been happening to me for quite some time but after working on a project for over an hour it happened again and now I need to fix this because it is get annoying. I try to remember to turn the grid off and make sure nothing is active on the work piece before saving but I forget at times and then I lose everything and have to start over. What can I do to fix this problem. :confused:
Thank you.

bergerud
02-16-2015, 11:25 AM
Mac or Windows? It does not happen to me with Windows 7.

sunmiztres
02-16-2015, 11:37 AM
Mac or Windows? It does not happen to me with Windows 7. I'm using windows 8.1

lynnfrwd
02-16-2015, 11:37 AM
How many patterns do you have in your favorites folder?
How many favorites folders do you have?
Did you register using the Run As Administrator command?
Did you try turning OFF open with preview or have you given it time to "build it's library of images"?

SteveNelson46
02-16-2015, 12:04 PM
It does not happen to me with Windows 8.1 either. More than likely, you have too many files or folders in your patterns list. The designer loads all of your patterns in the patterns list into memory when it starts. If you have too many in the list it can make the designer unstable and do strange things.

sunmiztres
02-17-2015, 09:00 AM
It does not happen to me with Windows 8.1 either. More than likely, you have too many files or folders in your patterns list. The designer loads all of your patterns in the patterns list into memory when it starts. If you have too many in the list it can make the designer unstable and do strange things.

How many is to many? I will remove some and see how it goes.
It doesn't crash when I start Designer 3. Only when I go to save a project to my hard drive.

bergerud
02-17-2015, 09:11 AM
Deleting patterns will not change the size of the favorites file. (Note the file size - what is it?) As a test you can simply move your favorites file out of the path. Move it to, for example, my documents. Designer will create a new, empty one in its place.

If the crashes still happen, the favorites file has been eliminated as the problem and you can move it back.

If the crashes stop, you will have to do some work on the favorites file. One thing at a time.

luckettg
09-27-2017, 05:33 PM
Where does that Favorites file hide, again? My memory sucks sometimes.

Deleting patterns will not change the size of the favorites file. (Note the file size - what is it?) As a test you can simply move your favorites file out of the path. Move it to, for example, my documents. Designer will create a new, empty one in its place.

If the crashes still happen, the favorites file has been eliminated as the problem and you can move it back.

If the crashes stop, you will have to do some work on the favorites file. One thing at a time.

fwharris
09-27-2017, 05:43 PM
The favorites file is located in the CarveWright folder @ C:\Users\PROBABLY YOUR NAME\CarveWright.