PDA

View Full Version : Converting Photo for carving

CustomWestCoast
03-06-2007, 01:08 AM
I have tried to convert this photo into a gray scale with no luck. I am trying to use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 I am not that familiar with Adobe. I have read threads on here praising Corel Draw X3. I have looked online for Corel Draw X3 online and found different types of software suites ranging from $103.00 to over $300.
My other question is how large must a file be so that it is not pixelated when it is enlarged. The photo I want to carve is 16kb. With Corel Draw X3 are you able to enlarge the file so that it does not get pixelated? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have done a few carvings but mostly are just signs with lettering.
The photo below is what I am trying to carve. I would like to set the cut out so that the entire logo is cut out.

Jon Jantz
03-06-2007, 01:37 AM
Hey, CWC....

Can you post a high-quality .jpg of that pic? I don't know how large you can post here, but if it won't let you, send me a PM and I'll give you my email address....

I'll do a quicky rework on it for you...

Later,
Jon

CallNeg151
03-06-2007, 01:39 AM
I have tried to convert this photo into a gray scale with no luck. I am trying to use Adobe Photoshop 6.0 I am not that familiar with Adobe. I have read threads on here praising Corel Draw X3. I have looked online for Corel Draw X3 online and found different types of software suites ranging from $103.00 to over $300.
My other question is how large must a file be so that it is not pixelated when it is enlarged. The photo I want to carve is 16kb. With Corel Draw X3 are you able to enlarge the file so that it does not get pixelated? Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. I have done a few carvings but mostly are just signs with lettering.
The photo below is what I am trying to carve. I would like to set the cut out so that the entire logo is cut out.

The photo you have uploaded is too small. Adobe Photoshop will do what you need to do, but may not be the best tool for the job. Because the minimum step of the CarveWright in best mode is .005", 200dpi should suffice for carving.

The reason the Corel Draw, Illustrator, Xara, etc. are commonly in use is because the are vector graphics programs, meaning that the graphics created by them are saved as lines, curves, and shapes, that can be enlarged to any size without pixelation, and individual elements of the drawings can be changed and manipulated without affecting other elements. They can very quickly and easily make smooth curves of solid colors or smooth gradients, which provide good results when carved. Also, because each shape is on its own layer, it allows drawings to be created layer by layer, which can make it easier to visualize the carving. If you are good with photoshop, you can get very good results with that program, however you will need to make sure that you create an image of appropriate size prior to import, and you will need to create your layers manually. Since you are not great with photoshop at this point, you might consider trying Corel Draw, Adobe Illustrator, or Xara Xtreme, since it may be easier for you.

Finally, you should probably export your images in .png format rather than .jpg, as artifacts created by the .jpg format show up as bumps in the carving.

Good luck!

Jon Jantz
03-06-2007, 09:26 AM
CallNeg, I have been exporting all my graphics as .PNG lately and like that format a lot... you can also use the mask to create a transparent background in .PNG....

CallNeg151
03-06-2007, 09:58 AM
CallNeg, I have been exporting all my graphics as .PNG lately and like that format a lot... you can also use the mask to create a transparent background in .PNG....

Yeah, I've been using PNG since I discovered artifacts in my first few projects that used JPG even at lowest compression levels. I hadn't tried to use the mask (I just create a white background, and click the "Lower" button once), but the a transparency layer is a good idea.

Greybeard
03-06-2007, 03:09 PM
Hey, CWC....

....... I don't know how large you can post here,........

Jon

Jon, as soon as you try to "Manage Attachments" it tells you in the first window what sizes are possible.

To try and bring people's attention to it, I've posted a thread on the topic.

I hope you can help spread the word, as a lot of people seem to be missing that.

John

bamaman315
03-06-2007, 03:58 PM
I was playing with that picture not sure if it is what you want

CustomWestCoast
03-06-2007, 10:46 PM
The MPC file looks great. I was hoping to cut out the entire outline of the carving. The board I plan on using is 11.25 X 24.00. I think this would be large enough to cut out the outine of the carving without problems. I have attached the original JPG that I am working from.

ramlin
05-14-2007, 07:48 AM
In reading the forum, about raster vs vector and carving photographs,
I was not sure I understood the difference. I have the programs:
Adobe Photoshop, Digital Image Pro, and Corel Paint Shop Pro X.
I used Digial Image to convert the .jpg (Photo 1) to a black and
whiite .bmp. I then used Adobe to clean up the image and saved
as .bmp. I then opened it in Corel and saved it as a .wmf. I then
reopened it in Corel and increased the size, and saved it as a .png.
Used that file to import to designer. (Test.mpc) Am I on the right
track, or are there steps I missed, or better ways to do these
things. I would appreciate any comments, suggestions from any
of you, who have much more experience with this kind of graphic
manipulation. Thanks

JOHNB
05-14-2007, 07:31 PM
I New At This Myself But Just Inverting And Carving A Region Helps A Little. Photo Still Needs Cleaned Up Though?

ramlin
05-15-2007, 07:05 AM
John
Thanks for the input, I am learning and every little tip from
those with more experience helps.

RC Woodworks
05-15-2007, 08:33 PM
Can anyone do something with this one? I tried but may need to hand carve it. This is the lay out of it.

Rick

pkunk
05-15-2007, 08:41 PM
You didn't say what you wanted to do. The center is rough.:rolleyes: Gave you a centerline though....

RC Woodworks
05-15-2007, 08:47 PM
Sorry Paul, my picture Documents are all messed up. I choose the picture and I get a different one! I am trying to get the photo of the tattoo to carve. I made another sign with a photo of a tattoo and it came out good.

This one might be too detailed?

Rick

Sarge
05-15-2007, 09:14 PM
John
Thanks for the input, I am learning and every little tip from
those with more experience helps.

Ramlin,
I messed with the file for a little while and think it's ready to carve. The pic didn't need anything. Just some adjustment, it wasn't much. You're on the right track.

ramlin
05-15-2007, 09:58 PM
Sarge,
Thanks do much, that is really great. DirtyDan also worked with it
and they are really great also. What programs did you use to edit it
with? Dan said he used Photo Impact. I looked through my software
and found Photo Impact Pro Version 10. Maybe another tool in the
arsenal? Guess I got a ways to go on the learning curve. Here are the
two Dan did.

Sarge
05-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Sarge,
Thanks do much, that is really great. DirtyDan also worked with it
and they are really great also. What programs did you use to edit it
with? Dan said he used Photo Impact. I looked through my software
and found Photo Impact Pro Version 10. Maybe another tool in the
arsenal? Guess I got a ways to go on the learning curve. Here are the
two Dan did.

I didn't mess with the picture at all. I just did some adjustment to the mpc. When I do anything to a picture, I use 1.Powerpoint, 2. CorelX3 to do anything to it.

Jon Jantz
05-16-2007, 01:15 AM
Hey RC.... had some time while stuck over at my inlaws this evening and did this up in Corel 11 on my mom-in-laws 'puter... hehe...

((It's a quickie reproduction of the design... is that a tat?))

Bill
05-16-2007, 07:11 AM
hello Jon,
Excellent job http://www.carvewright.com/forum/images/icons/icon14.gif

RC Woodworks
05-16-2007, 04:49 PM
Hey RC.... had some time while stuck over at my inlaws this evening and did this up in Corel 11 on my mom-in-laws 'puter... hehe...

((It's a quickie reproduction of the design... is that a tat?))

Wow I mean wow! I need to start learning corel from you! The heck with reading the manuel! I will be buying your instructional disc when I get back home!

Thanks again!!!!!

Rick