PDA

View Full Version : Cricut

Mike1
02-15-2015, 04:05 PM
Does anyone here use a Cricut machine? Was thinking of buying one. I can see how they would be quite handy with signage along with the CW. Thank you.

DickB
02-15-2015, 04:28 PM
I have a Silhouette SD, since been replaced with an upgraded model. At the time these were more versatile than Cricut. You should check out both. They are relatively inexpensive machines and work well. I got mine to replicate graphics for a 1982 Wetbike. I have done other projects.

74494 74495

​ExpressionsVinyl.com (http://clicks.aweber.com/y/ct/?l=G8dt.&m=3Zm2Rq84zuor.bh&b=dk_i1GQ1aeKYvFlsry5asA) is a good, inexpensive source for materials.

DianMayfield
02-15-2015, 08:41 PM
I do some work combining my stuff with a girl that does signs. She sells her scrap vinyl cheap! Especially when you are starting, buying rolls of vinyl can be expensive. See if there is someone in your town doing vinyl signs and ask if they sell their scrap. She uses it for paint stencils on my cutouts.

Lots of ladies in town use the scraps in their cricut for their wall sayings, which tend to be fairly narrow.

I have a pretty easy to follow tutorial for applying vinyl (straight :) )if you are interested.

RogerB
02-16-2015, 05:15 AM
Mike the silhouette cameo is the way to go . You can do more and a better value. ( Give me a call for more info )

henry1
02-16-2015, 05:55 AM
Mike the silhouette cameo is the way to go . You can do more and a better value. ( Give me a call for more info )

You have a private message get on face book

Digitalwoodshop
02-16-2015, 01:11 PM
Even a 24 inch vinyl cutter as they are pretty cheap by most equipment standards. I visit many Engraving and Sign forums and many will tell you that a vinyl cutter will pay for itself quickly and a few times a year. I have a Graphtec FC7000 about 5 years now that has paid for itself many times over. It even has a photo eye to read location marks if you later had a ability to print on vinyl as in stickers then cut the on your cutter.

But a cricut is a great place to start.... lots of videos on youtube to prime the idea generator....

Even doing Car License Plates and Hitch Covers.... And some can even cut Sand Blast Mask applied to WOOD, Rock, Brick, or Stone then a cheap Sand blaster.... Making for the unusual Craft Show Products.... Along with the CW... A Win Win...

Think of the projects you could do with ceramic tile and sand blast mask.... Color fill the blasted areas.... add some wood from the CW..... Hope Chests, Drink Coasters.

I even added a Ceramic Tile to a Quilt Rack once for a Fire Dept event but I used my color pictures on tile process to put a picture of the Quilt on it that they were giving away...

AL

Mike1
02-16-2015, 05:32 PM
Thank you all, I have an opportunity to buy a new one at half price ($149) and thought that it would be fun and would compliment the CW. Roger I will call you and Henry I did not get a PM. Al, I am thinking along the same lines as you because I have done a great deal of sand blasting signs years ago and would like to do it again. Dian, I would love to see the tutorial. Thanks again all.
Mike

Digitalwoodshop
02-20-2015, 11:01 AM
Here is a picture by Doug Griffith borrowed from Sawmill Creek Laser Engraving forum. It is Acrylic cut to shape then Vinyl is applied to the back with a reverse design that is then weeded as in removing say the letters. Spray Can paint in light coats and let dry. Weed some more then apply a different color and let dry. Signs were mounted with stand off's.

With a CW you could cut the snape of the Acrylic. With the Cricut you could do the design in vinyl. For bigger signs you could do the smaller format cricut then place on Acrylic then use masking tape to fill in the areas before weeding and spraying.

Just another example of using the CW and a Cricut or Vinyl Cutter to make a durable outdoor sign.....

AL

mtylerfl
02-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Those are great examples, AL. Very professional appearance and a great way to leverage our CW machine capabilities with another product! Thank you for showing us!

Mike1
02-20-2015, 04:04 PM
Thanks Al, yes great examples. I am anxious to start to try some of these techniques. I'll keep you posted, may take awhile though ;-)

Digitalwoodshop
02-21-2015, 12:28 PM
I know a few have found making Drink Coasters of wood with fancy art... but think of a combined project.. Wood Boarder design and a round Carve Region for a Sand Blasted, Paint fill Ceramic tile.... Cricut friendly...

AL