PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to make cut path?

dehrlich
02-14-2015, 02:37 PM
I'm wondering on the attached pattern, is there an easy way to make a cut path around the outside of the pattern? Basically I mean the rectangle part on the bottom, going into the eagle wings and mountains on the top. I can do it bit by bit, but thought there might be an easy way. Thanks for any advice.

bergerud
02-14-2015, 03:03 PM
When I selected the the four patterns and outlined them, there were gaps and separate pieces. No cut out possible. So, I selected all, scaled it all down into a corner. Then I did the outline and got a single curve. Select all again and rescaled back to full size.

dehrlich
02-15-2015, 07:53 AM
Whoa, amazing! Thank you very much! I will have to remember that trick!

dehrlich
02-15-2015, 07:59 AM
This plaque is going to be awesome! Now I just have to wait for her to pay the deposit so I can make it... or do i? LOL

henry1
02-15-2015, 09:37 AM
This plaque is going to be awesome! Now I just have to wait for her to pay the deposit so I can make it... or do i? LOL

If you don't mine asking what would you charge for a project

Digitalwoodshop
02-15-2015, 12:21 PM
When I selected the the four patterns and outlined them, there were gaps and separate pieces. No cut out possible. So, I selected all, scaled it all down into a corner. Then I did the outline and got a single curve. Select all again and rescaled back to full size.

Now that is a trick I am going to use.... Never thought of it.....

AL

PSQRD
02-15-2015, 03:24 PM
Just an FYI in case you didn't notice, some of the background waves are showing through on your eagles, will probably be more prodominent after carved. Good luck though, still trying to understand what burger meant. Did you scale everything at once? when I select all I can still only scale one thing at a time.

henry1
02-15-2015, 04:00 PM

Can you explain how you did with a little more detailed love to learn this one thank you in advance

bergerud
02-15-2015, 04:47 PM
After noting that the selected objects would not produce a closed outline, (Just one eagle was creating broken segments) I selected all and the scaled it all down together (click and drag the yellow triangular corner handle.) Then I selected just the patterns which needed to be outlined and made the outline. After making the successful outline, I selected all again and resized all back close to the original size.

The reason a pattern produces a broken outline must have to do with the jagged bitmap boundary and what the software sees as gaps. Scaling it down also scales down the gaps. Once the gaps are small enough, I guess the software does not see them and draws over them. I suppose one should experiment to find the size which just works for a given pattern. Going too small would result in losing details which need not be lost.

henry1
02-15-2015, 05:26 PM
After noting that the selected objects would not produce a closed outline, (Just one eagle was creating broken segments) I selected all and the scaled it all down together (click and drag the yellow triangular corner handle.) Then I selected just the patterns which needed to be outlined and made the outline. After making the successful outline, I selected all again and resized all back close to the original size.

The reason a pattern produces a broken outline must have to do with the jagged bitmap boundary and what the software sees as gaps. Scaling it down also scales down the gaps. Once the gaps are small enough, I guess the software does not see them and draws over them. I suppose one should experiment to find the size which just works for a given pattern. Going too small would result in losing details which need not be lost.
Now I follow you thx

PSQRD
02-16-2015, 08:18 AM
Same here, Thanks! Never noticed the yellow triangle.