PDA

View Full Version : sled length measuement off by 1/2 inch

carpenter
02-09-2015, 11:46 AM
Ok I will try to give a visual of my problem,I am carving a piece that measures 24 inches long by 3 inches wide my sled length is 31 inches long by 6 inches wide when the machine is measuring the piece it measures 30.433 approx. a 1/2 inch short and asks me if i want it centered on piece and do i want to cut to length and I say yes to center and no to cutting to length when the carving begins it starts to carve about 1/4 inch ahead of the piece to be carved. I should state that I have used this sled for quite awhile with no problems, I noticed the problem started in Nov. at the same time I had other problems and sent the machine in to be fixed I always tell machine do not stay under rollers per the advice from other users, can someone shed some light on the subject and what is the fix. Thanks

Digitalwoodshop
02-09-2015, 11:57 AM
I believe it is a case of the Brass Roller.... Did the rubber O ring get missing?

fwharris
02-09-2015, 12:41 PM
I would do an X calibration check. Use a board at least 36" long.

bergerud
02-09-2015, 01:15 PM
I think 1/2" may be too much to be a calibration issue. (Just press 0 - 6 - 4 and check that the x calibration number is around 890.)

Measuring the board too short could indicate that the roller is rolling slow like its diameter is too large. Check that the roller is pressing hard against the board. (Not compressing the rubber O ring would explain the error.)

DocWheeler
02-09-2015, 02:28 PM
What size is the virtual board in Designer?
This might help us find another cause.

carpenter
02-09-2015, 05:34 PM
thanks for the help the test came out to be 890.430 the o-ring is on the brass roller the head preasure is between 80 and 90 pounds has been since i got the machine the board length in designer is 24"x3" so not sure where the problem is I will do a x calibration check next again thanks

lynnfrwd
02-09-2015, 05:45 PM
Board lost traction with the roller for .567". Maybe not all at once, maybe over the length. Check outfeed trays are not "lifting" it off roller by being too high.

bergerud
02-09-2015, 05:59 PM
Do you see brass roller marks in the bottom of your boards?

carpenter
02-09-2015, 06:24 PM
yes there are roller marks on the tape on the bottom, and the rollers on the outfeed tray are not high I have been using a cleat on my work bench that the sled glides on as it feeds through the machine the cleat sits24" away from center of the machine have used for some time could this be a problem only use on long projects does not seem to lift off machine

bergerud
02-10-2015, 12:11 PM
What about the front rubber belt interfering with the brass roller? Push the brass roller down and see how close it gets to the belt.

Have you tried to measure a board without the O ring on?

carpenter
02-14-2015, 04:39 PM
ok again thanks for the help I bought a piece of mdf cut it to 48 inches long I did a measureing test it gave me 3 different measurments the last was 46.977 so it is a difference of just over 1 inch I did notice after it fed through on its way back i noticed a slight hesitation maybe even a stall I have not tried removing the o ring and the brass roller does not hit the belt,I went ahead and made a new sled and new rails and end caps my work piece is 3inches wide by 24 inches long the sled is 31 x6 inches the difference on length on this was approx. 3/8 so how to fix does it need to be recalibrated.

bergerud
02-14-2015, 05:52 PM
I think that your measurements are too far off to be solved by calibration. The change that would need to be made would be "out of range". It must be a hardware problem. Try without the O ring just to get some more information.