PDA

View Full Version : Sales taxes on line in Texas when ordering on line???

myshop1044
02-07-2015, 08:24 PM
I was talking to some one who is interested in buying a machine and when he went thru the ordering procedure,
taxes were added in the final total. He was , as was I, thought there was not taxes charged with an online order.
Has this been changed lately or some time ago and I was not aware of it.
He wants to order on line then go pick it up in a couple of days since he is traveling to Houston soon.
any help would be great.

Perry B.

DianMayfield
02-07-2015, 08:57 PM
I do purchasing...

Technically, sales outside of a company's state are not taxable. The person or company purchasing the item or materials are required to pay their home state the "use tax". If there is any kind of physical presence in another state, then there would also be tax in that other state - that could simply be a sales office for some manufacturing facility.

Now, the kicker - if he is in Oklahoma, purchases online with no tax, he cannot go pick it up. He would have to pay the tax, as the sale then actually happens in TX.

So, online sales to a customer in TX should always include tax.

lynnfrwd
02-07-2015, 10:10 PM
If he logged in with his address the taxes would go away.

First Sergeant
02-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Perry,
This is Phillip, I went through the check out and after putting in my address the sales tax did go away. Looking forward to seeing the CarveWright. Thanks for the help.

FWMiller
02-08-2015, 11:04 AM
Don't think you can get out of taxes and shipping at the same time. If he picks it up in Texas then LHR should be obligated to collect sales tax. Many states are now trying to force companies to collect sales tax for online orders for the address being shipped to, even if out of state. Amazon has finally given in to CA and others.

DianMayfield
02-08-2015, 11:29 AM
Yup, Amazon put a shipping warehouse in CA..21 states all together. Fortunately ID is too small to draw them in :)

myshop1044
02-08-2015, 11:47 AM
thank you all for comments, I thought I was right, just wanted to make sure. You either pay taxes in Texas or pay shipping and no taxes.
Perry B.