PDA

View Full Version : Two new projects

Skyhawk
03-05-2007, 03:18 PM
Attached are two projescts that I recently made. I haven't finished either yet, but will do so this week.

The NY Giants helmet will be a gift for my brother-in-law who is a huge fan, and is 12" x 14"...

The wine rack is a prototype for my sister...I plan on building a custom bar with carved stiles and rails. This rack will be made from whichever wood they choose and will rest either on top or on one of the shelves. THis rack measures 12" x 21"...

mobident
03-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Wow, very thin carving on the helmet. Both look great.
Bruce

mtylerfl
03-06-2007, 10:00 AM
Terrific job!

Bill
03-06-2007, 10:31 AM
Excellent work,very nice ;)

Kenm810
03-06-2007, 01:16 PM
Skyhawk

Detail and layout of the helmet and face mask – very impressive.
And my wife now wants a wine rack
Ken

Skyhawk
03-07-2007, 01:06 PM
Hehehe that's one of the downfalls of this forum! Wives (or husbands) tend to get an idea of what they want and off you go trying to make it!

This rack did take quite a while to carve, 4.5 hours for each piece...

Ron Smith
03-07-2007, 01:19 PM
and the mpc. for the winerack is located where ...? Come on, you can't keep something that nice without sharing! It's against the rules or something. Honestly, it looks pretty nice. Would you mind sharing the design?

Thanks,
Ron

Skyhawk
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I tried to upload the mpc's for the winerack, but they are too large for the forum...even zipped they are 1.3MB each(front and back)...

In the meantime, I've added them to my site:

http://www.csr-solutions.com/carvewright/WineRack.zip

My first shot at this wasn't perfect...the slots that hold the slats to hold the two sections together were created with the carving bit which won't leave them square...I have fixed them on the above patterns, but haven't tested them for fit.

I might also recommend adding some carving to the back of the rear piece if this is going to placed out in the open...

lesbaker
03-11-2007, 10:14 AM
SkyHawk, Nice work!! Any chance you would share the helmet design? Keep the chips flying.

cajunpen
03-11-2007, 10:31 PM
That helmet looks good - but it would look GREAT with a New Orleans Saints Fleur de Lis on it;)

Nice job Skyhawk

Skyhawk
03-15-2007, 10:30 AM
Here is the MPC for the giants helmet...most of the detail comes from the Corel file that I created...I will try to post that as well, as the NY symbol would be easy to remove and replace with the Saints logo (although I can't imagine why anyone would want to! :)

Skyhawk
03-15-2007, 10:34 AM
OK, here is a link to the Corel Draw version of the Giants helmet...

http://www.csr-solutions.com/carvewright/giantshelmet.zip

Mike
03-15-2007, 02:38 PM
Very Nice job

Gman_Ind
03-19-2007, 01:18 PM
Thanks for the post. This forum is adding to my honey-do list every day!
Are the thin cross grain portions of the rack fragile?

Skyhawk
03-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Thanks for the post. This forum is adding to my honey-do list every day!
Are the thin cross grain portions of the rack fragile?

That was my initial concern when creating the pattern, but it is qiute sturdy, even on the Aspen that I carved the prototype on... I do plan on making another out of Cherry, but that will have to wait until I move...not something that I want to pack!