PDA

View Full Version : rotate question

joepei
02-05-2015, 07:26 AM
I have a drawing done with the segmented line tools and the depth profile. Is there any way to rotate this 90 degrees? Joe

SteveNelson46
02-05-2015, 08:31 AM
You cannot rotate vectors in the Designer. Although, you can rotate a .dxf in the DXF importer. That's the only way that I know of. IMHO, it seems like strange behavior for a vector based program but, it's been that way since the beginning. It has always been a major complaint also.

joepei
02-05-2015, 08:46 AM
Thanks. I guess I will have to draw them over again.

gashawk
02-05-2015, 12:01 PM
For 90 degrees, try using mirror, then hide any unwanted parts.

bergerud
02-05-2015, 12:34 PM
I can only get reflections with mirror. Reflections can give the same as 180 but not 90. Am I wrong?

CNC Carver
02-05-2015, 12:35 PM
Maybe using half the mirror gets you 90 degrees. lol :)

gashawk
02-05-2015, 07:19 PM
I can only get reflections with mirror. Reflections can give the same as 180 but not 90. Am I wrong?

Okay 180 and right to left. Maybe CarveWright needs a 360 degree mirror.

bergerud
02-05-2015, 07:34 PM
They just need to add rotation of vectors! I keep telling them that is embarrassing to have a drawing program without such a trivial, basic feature.

SteveNelson46
02-06-2015, 09:20 AM
They just need to add rotation of vectors! I keep telling them that is embarrassing to have a drawing program without such a trivial, basic feature.

I agree! It probably has something to do with marketing. Maybe it would slow the DXF importer sales. Any way to squeeze a nickel...

lynnfrwd
02-06-2015, 09:59 AM
I agree! It probably has something to do with marketing. Maybe it would slow the DXF importer sales. Any way to squeeze a nickel...

We can have these discussions without taking unfounded potshots at LHR.

bergerud
02-06-2015, 11:16 AM
I am sure there are good reasons why LHR does not get around to fixing some of these things. It probably has more to do with allocation of resources. Most users are not as sophisticated as some of the active forum members. Creating new features for the masses may be better for business than fixing details for the few.

On the other hand, fixing a few of these details seems like it might inspire more people to upgrade. But what do I know? It is not my company!

DianMayfield
02-06-2015, 11:27 AM
I don't think it is necessarily that there are a only a "few" that would benefit from the rotate feature. Just a few mention it. I haven't before, and its a pain. It is really frustrating that the angle or rotate function is not available, and I need something like Corel to do it, making it a two step process to manipulate the best layout on the board. Thank heavens I have that other program to work with so I can fine tune my layouts. What about the folks that are strapped for cash, and can only afford one solution - it should be the solution within the machines software options.

Just my two pennies worth - tin pennies at that :)

DianMayfield
02-06-2015, 11:40 AM
A little off topic, but I saw a video once where there was a photo behind using the drawing tools- a shell design from one of the conferences I think- what software piece or process is that?

fwharris
02-06-2015, 11:42 AM
A little off topic, but I saw a video once where there was a photo behind using the drawing tools- a shell design from one of the conferences I think- what software piece or process is that?

That would be "import tracing image". I believe it was introduced in 2.xxx.

lynnfrwd
02-06-2015, 11:43 AM
I talked the software engineers about this feature and they said it is very complex to do. (Ever seen your arc tool go haywire?)

Yes, the more expensive programs like Corel and AutoCAD have it, but we do not have the resources to do this right now and, yes, it would be very expensive to get it programmed.

lynnfrwd
02-06-2015, 11:46 AM
Which feature is more likely to get people to upgrade? Being able to rotate a vector or to carve 2" deep or to use a 1/32" carving bit for more detail or to carve in the round on a rotary jig?

(It's not my company, either.)

fwharris
02-06-2015, 11:56 AM
Which feature is more likely to get people to upgrade? Being able to rotate a vector or to carve 2" deep or to use a 1/32" carving bit for more detail or to carve in the round on a rotary jig?

(It's not my company, either.)

Programed pocket cutting!!! :) :0

lynnfrwd
02-06-2015, 11:59 AM
Now this is turning into the Designer Wishlist thread...

fwharris
02-06-2015, 12:27 PM
Now this is turning into the Designer Wishlist thread...

Nope, just keeping the thoughts alive! :)

SteveNelson46
02-07-2015, 06:55 AM
We can have these discussions without taking unfounded potshots at LHR.

Oh my, are we touchy or what? I wasn't taking a cheap shot at LHR. It's just that ALL other vector based drawing programs have a rotate feature. Even the really cheap ones. I only meant that the lack of a vector rotate feature was intentional.