PDA

View Full Version : Engraving

Scott J. Zeiger
02-04-2015, 09:19 PM
Has anyone ever tried to lightly engrave a brass plate with their CW?

bjbethke
02-05-2015, 06:21 AM

It would carve with the “V” bit. But it could COST lots of money; Brass is a great conductor – You would never find all the loose brass dust. None of the electoral parts are sealed in the CW Unit.

SteveNelson46
02-05-2015, 08:45 AM

This is a direct quote from the manual:

Selecting the Material
The CarveWright machine can be thought of as a desktop publishing system for wood and other soft materials. The CarveWright can work in soft materials including wood, suitable plastics, and foam. Any materials outside these families are not to be used with the machine unless explicitly stated by CarveWright.

Any materials outside of those stated above are not to be used in the machine. In fact, note that the CarveWright warranty is null and void if the machine is used to cut metals, stone,or any other hard material not explicitly allowed.

bergerud
02-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Some have tried. I think LHR has even thought of trying to engrave with some kind of spring loaded diamond point. I have tried to carve aluminum:

http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?16333-has-anyone-tried-to-carve-metal-(bronze-specifically)&p=159270#post159270

The results were not so good as the CW can not hold the bit well enough against the forces. I have a dust collecting system that picked up the metal dust. Without such a system, I do not recommend you try it.

Digitalwoodshop
02-05-2015, 12:05 PM
Gravity and the conductive metal dust will find it's way into your $350.00 computer.... Then it will not have been worth it...

Sub the job out...

This is the tool for that job.... It's been years since I turned it on... See the 2008 picture date...

AL

CNC Carver
02-05-2015, 12:37 PM
Al you have all the fun stuff! Always nice to see your equipment.

Scott J. Zeiger
02-05-2015, 09:28 PM
Thanks as usual for the insight guys. Al, sell me that machine.

Digitalwoodshop
02-06-2015, 01:30 PM
Thanks as usual for the insight guys. Al, sell me that machine.

Scott... sorry, no can do... I am a "tool collector", it was hard enough when I sold one of my Laser Engravers that only ran on Win 95 and I would never use it....

I know some day I will use it for something with finer text than the CW can make.... Only a 9 x 12 work area.... If the computer ever fails to boot then I am in trouble... It has a long interface card....

Another option for your brass.... CLTT or Color Laser Toner Transfer... You use a Iron to transfer a black reverse image to the front of the brass tag and use a black Oxidizer solution to blacken the exposed brass. The Toner acts as a mask then wash with Alcohol.

Or coat the brass with clear spray and use a electric engraver to mark on the brass exposing the un protected brass that you then use Black Oxidizer on.

Even doing the electric hand engraver and PAINT Fill.... See this... http://www.engraverssolutions.com/PDFs/tips&tricks-color_filling.pdf

and this. http://www.engravingetc.org/archive/lmessages.php?msg=3148.1

AL

Scott J. Zeiger
02-06-2015, 09:25 PM
Thanks for info Al.