PDA

View Full Version : Question about working with Pine

RobertP
02-02-2015, 06:00 PM
I wanted to see if anyone had some tips about preventing the fuzzies on the pine when you apply paint. Do I need to seal the pine after sanding to prevent the edges from doing this? If so, what can I use that will not react with acrylic paints?

zan29
02-02-2015, 07:00 PM
The best way for me to prevent the wood grain from puffing up is to apply a spray glue or regular glue like Elmer's. Let dry and apply your paint.

RobertP
02-02-2015, 07:16 PM
Wonderful, Im going to give this a try tomorrow, thank you!

DianMayfield
02-02-2015, 07:40 PM
What I had also found was sometimes the pine carving "dust" needed to be buffed off the slopes with a brass brush. It's almost like the pitch in the wood, and the heat of the bit caused it to stick. A lot fewer painting issues when I started doing that.

fwharris
02-02-2015, 07:47 PM
Your "fuzzy" problem is because you are not sanding them down enough on the end grain area of the wood. To help try using a sanding sealer before doing the finishing sanding. The sealer will stiffen the fuzzies and make then easier to sand down. I usually do a first sanding without the sealer and then seal for a final sanding.

If you are going to paint you can also apply a lacquer coat prior to painting.

rickyz
02-03-2015, 01:07 PM
just use the force when painting....sorry, couldn't resist...

RobertP
02-04-2015, 12:56 AM
just use the force when painting....sorry, couldn't resist...

Love it!!! Lol good to see I'm not the only Star Wars fan

FWMiller
02-04-2015, 02:54 AM
Shellac works great with acrylic paints. I brush on shellac as my sanding sealer and then the remaining fuzzies can be sanded smooth. Acrylic goes on nice and smooth over the shellac and then I spray a coat of shellac over the acrylic tio protect it.