PDA

View Full Version : Can this all be cutout without manually tracing the whole image?

Rob Mulgrew
02-02-2015, 05:41 PM
Hello,
Can anyone tell what's wrong with this image or mpc that I cant make into a cutout w/o first manually tracing many of the sections? I need to cut out all the empty spaces not just around the circle but after outlining the pattern a lot of the sections still cannot be cutout without manually tracing them all. Any ideas to fix this? I created the image in Gimp, traced it in Inkscape and imported to designer. Thanks

bergerud
02-02-2015, 06:00 PM
The outline function did not work on part of it so I converted it to DXF and imported it. Try cutting out these curves.

Rob Mulgrew
02-02-2015, 06:09 PM
Worked perfect Bergerud. Thank you very much!
Is the DXF importer the only way to do this without manually tracing the pattern that you know of?

bergerud
02-02-2015, 06:45 PM
Sometimes you can make the pattern bigger to get it to make connected closed outlines. (I tried it with yours but it was already big.) I like the vector curves better than Designer outlines and so using an outside graphics program to trace and then import as DXF seems better to me. The result is usually smoother.

SteveNelson46
02-02-2015, 08:40 PM
I used Corel Draw to trace the bitmap and export as a .dxf. After importing into the Designer I used the "Vector Groups" tool. It turned out pretty good.

bjbethke
02-02-2015, 09:39 PM
Hello,
Can anyone tell what's wrong with this image or mpc that I cant make into a cutout w/o first manually tracing many of the sections? I need to cut out all the empty spaces not just around the circle but after outlining the pattern a lot of the sections still cannot be cutout without manually tracing them all. Any ideas to fix this? I created the image in Gimp, traced it in Inkscape and imported to designer. Thanks

Your image was not a clean image. I ran it through my Vector Magic program to give it a clean outline, you could do this in a Photoshop program also. The OLD 1.187 program works OK. BJB

bjbethke
02-03-2015, 10:04 AM
I cleaned the Raster image edge with a vector program called Vector Magic.

Digitalwoodshop
02-03-2015, 12:52 PM
And if you find that the 2 speed vector cut path with tabs pushes too fast and snaps the fine wood you can always try the "Cheating Method"....

Mount your blank with double sided tape to hold the little pieces. Select your lines then the 1/4 inch bull nose bit and set the depth to slightly deeper than the board thickness as the tape will hold the pieces on a sacrifical bottom piece. The Art will look strange with the thick lines.... Then actually load the 1/8th inch cutting bit and cut the project with that bit. By doing this the FEED RATE will stay in 1st gear and give you a smooth cut with NO TABS.... That's why the double stick tape..... You can even use a 1/16th end mill too.. AND Multi PASS.... The trick is to keep the feed rate SLOW in 1st gear.... You may find as I DID that the faster 2nd gear feed rate will push too fast and snap the fine wood design....

You can also do this and set the depth LESS than the board thickness to leave a SKIN on the bottom then SAND off the skin releasing the parts.. :)

Good Luck,

AL

myshop1044
02-03-2015, 01:53 PM
I have a interesting question for you two fellows, if you applied cut path to the project would it matter which cut path it did first.
there would be so many tabs would it be a little flimsy connected on the rest of the wood. Just asking. It would be nice to assign the order to the cut paths.
I have been ask to do some of these and turned it down cause I would have to trace those cuts by hand.
Now that I know we have special people that can convert the designs it could be another project.
Perry B.

bergerud
02-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I believe that the software cuts the inside paths first and then the outside paths. There is some smart ordering. It is not seemingly random like centerline.

mtylerfl
02-03-2015, 03:26 PM
Many years ago, I did the very first POM for CarveWright...the Trout Clock. One round component has an internal circle and an external circle, both to be cut using the Cut Path Tool. Back in the "old days" the order of which circle was to be cut first was a gamble. For example, the Trout Clock circle I described would cut the outer circle first, then the internal one. This was not good, as there was a fair chance the outer circle tabs could break whilst the inner circle was cut out.

I brought this to the attention of the programmers and the next update of the software made it so all internal cuts are made before any external cuts. So, in answer to your question...the internal cutouts on that design will be cut before the outer perimeter cut.

We still cannot change the order of machining functions manually, but at least the automatic cut order usually makes sense now, for the most part.

sunmiztres
02-11-2015, 09:21 AM
I am having, I believe the exact problem. I select all but the outline patterns button won't light up. I also tried to make a pattern when I select all but that didn't work. I was tying to get the letters and frames cut out as everything is attached and/or even just the perimeter would be fine. Do I need to do the same thing as below? Thank you for any help you can give.

bergerud
02-11-2015, 02:41 PM
I had to expand the K, I, and D to close the curve on the bottom. Is this what you wanted?

henry1
02-11-2015, 02:52 PM
I had to expand the K, I, and D to close the curve on the bottom. Is this what you wanted?

to bad you did not do it in the 187 or the 2.07

bergerud
02-11-2015, 02:58 PM
Could not Henry. The original was in 3. (I always go with the lowest version I can.)

sunmiztres
02-11-2015, 03:13 PM

THank you so much. I thought everything was closed. I think I need to get my glasses fixed. So once you did that what did you have to do to get just the perimeter to allow for a cutout? Just trying to learn how it works. Thank you so much Bergerud!!

bergerud
02-11-2015, 04:10 PM
After widening the letters at the bottom (so the outline would not leak up between them), I selected only the parts that needed to be out lined and outlined them. (I made the I smaller again after.) I then deleted the many interior outlines leaving only the outside. Then made it a cut out.

henry1
02-11-2015, 04:17 PM
Could not Henry. The original was in 3. (I always go with the lowest version I can.)

Thank you berg for replying

sunmiztres
02-11-2015, 06:45 PM
Thanks for letting me know and for taking time to tell me how and doing it. I really appreciate it.

sunmiztres
02-26-2015, 09:35 PM
Thanks for the help. I think it turned out pretty well.

mtylerfl
02-26-2015, 09:50 PM
VERY nice project! Congrats on a job well done!

SharonB
02-27-2015, 01:06 AM
Wow! Another great project. Will certainly be looking for other great project to come out of Hereford, AZ.

sunmiztres
02-27-2015, 11:02 AM
Wow! Another great project. Will certainly be looking for other great project to come out of Hereford, AZ.

VERY nice project! Congrats on a job well done!

Thank you Michael T and SharonB it means a lot coming from both of you.

mikemi
02-27-2015, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the help. I think it turned out pretty well.

I think you are right, it turned out very well.

Mike