PDA

View Full Version : Poor alignment on two sided carve

jkbogi
02-02-2015, 03:17 PM
I try to make two sided figures. I carve an original piece and then scan both sides. I align both sides in Designer 3. I carve the back side first, flip the board and carve the front. The board is dead center in a jig. When flipped, the board is in exactly the same position as for the first carve. The finished piece is misaligned along the Y axis. I have had the same problem with every two sided carve I try. Is there an alignment adjustment on the Y axis? The attachments show the original that was used to make the pattern and photos of the misaligned carves.

bergerud
02-02-2015, 03:22 PM
There is a y offset which can be adjusted.

See the calibration instructions: http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/Carvewright_User_Calibration.pdf (page 7)

as well as http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?20793-Manual-Y-Calibration-and-Y-Offset&p=178433#post178433

DickB
02-02-2015, 04:38 PM
Read this post: http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?26792-Lining-up-double-sided-carves-measuring-boards&p=239904#post239904

JJG419
02-03-2015, 03:35 PM
It looks like either the program or the machine rescaled one or both of your patterns. I say this because it looks like the carving is not aligned in any of the three axis (x,y or z).

cestout
02-03-2015, 04:05 PM
I have found the on 2 sided carves, the width of the board should be no more that a hair wider than the project mpc calls for. Some jog to center. That might help.
Clint

henry1
02-03-2015, 04:38 PM
I try to make two sided figures. I carve an original piece and then scan both sides. I align both sides in Designer 3. I carve the back side first, flip the board and carve the front. The board is dead center in a jig. When flipped, the board is in exactly the same position as for the first carve. The finished piece is misaligned along the Y axis. I have had the same problem with every two sided carve I try. Is there an alignment adjustment on the Y axis? The attachments show the original that was used to make the pattern and photos of the misaligned carves.
Can't open it written newer version

mtylerfl
02-04-2015, 10:05 AM

You may want to test this carving on a full board (no jig) with the extra 7" length (plus a hair) to stay under the rollers to see if the jig is somehow introducing the misalignment. Try it and let us know. I've had extremely great success with two-sided carvings since day one and you should too. One of the features I brag about on the CW is the ease with which two-sided carvings are performed.

SteveNelson46
02-04-2015, 11:30 AM
I don't know if you intended it but, the front and the back are not the same size. Also, the combined depth of the front and the back exceeds the thickness of the material. 1.1" + 1.1" = 2.2". Thickness of material = 2"

jkbogi
02-13-2015, 03:56 PM
I started with an offset default of -.021. I increased this to -.027 and it is almost there. I tried to go to -.028 and it won't accept that figure. Is -.027 the limit that the offset will move?

aokweld101
02-13-2015, 05:04 PM
....I noticed that you have a rectangal and a oval on your pattern that can be deleted and the same thing as Steve said your pattern on front and back are not the same size.. use the unlock key for making the front and the back same size..are you useing the long 1/16 bit? Are you useing a planner to get the thickness to 2." I think you have alot more going on with that pattern than you think..... you have a square and oval on the back that need deleted and to many tabs for that project..

jkbogi
02-13-2015, 06:51 PM
I just ordered a new Y axis drive belt and tensioning spring. Could a worn belt cause the offset problem? I loosened the screw so the spring could put proper tension on the belt and still have an offset problem.

I'm aware of the different sizes from front to back. I'm using the long bit to get 1" deep from each side. Since the bit only cuts straight down and the 1" mark is not the middle of the carving. one side ends up wider that the other. It is designed to be finished carved with knives and gouges. Note on the drawing that the part on the upper side of the center line is wider than the lower part.
http://forum.carvewright.com/image/png;base64,iVBORw0KGgoAAAANSUhEUgAAANgAAACQCAIAAAD lSTK7AAADkUlEQVR4nO3cQU7jQBhEYW6BxIb7n7JnYRRFwEBIH PtV/e Tl7PoLr/xsEDz8v726uNz vPy/va6pFMZohAMUQiGKARDvMctP3qffcYwhviTRyIz0D8xxM eHY1RfssQ1zovDqO8mB4iJwLOSU4xN0Tmi2ee6gDjQoz4pzDik PsaFGLiq008831GhJj OtPPf4v EGtuV3ORbzWH2Pch6bvRRW2IlZfaVF6tMMTiz8ZF3x3bQmy6y6 aLtsTYt9H4hY1ty4JseZ93KHj7g0hpp9/F kjxIcYffh9RU RHWLuyZ8kd5DgEEOP/Wyhs6SGmHjmwySOY4iFEseJDDHuwMeLmygvxKzTnihrqLAQg45 KEDSXITYLmispxJRzoqSMFhNixCGZIqYzxH4R02WEyD8hHH9AQ xyBP2BAiPDjpYDPaIhTwGekh0g WxzymIY4CHlMQxyEPCY6ROzBcmEnNcRZsJMa4izYSQ1xFuyk3B CZpyrAHNYQx2EOa4jjMIc1xHGYwxriOMxhDXEc5rCGOA5zWGiI wCM1Ac5riBMB5zXEiYDzQkNcyLE6MIc1xHGYwxriOMxhDXEc5r CGOA5zWEMchzmsIY7DHNYQx2EOyw1xUSeLhp3UEGfBTmqIs2An NcRZsJOiQ1zg4RKRxzTEQchj0kNc7PmCwGc0xCngM36E6ONz kP/Ii7832Y /oCGOAJ/wIwQV8KUWBHTxYS4QgalSRnNEMuljJYU4sqZFSJorrAQV9S458 oayhBrZQ2VF JKm/gUcRNFhrgChz5S4jipIa7MuQ8QOktwiCt29OfJHSQ7xJU8/e6ip4gPcYW/gL2kj9AQ4sp/DQ8quH5JiKviZdyn4 I9Ia6WV/InNVeuCnGttf2u79mnOELZTdtC3PTd6JO C3aGuOo GBfF9 oMcVN2tbLrXCsPcbV8Qjpu8YP EDe5LzL35H8yJcRN1kvNOu2DZoW44b9g/gl3NzHEDfNlM091gLkhbq7/y4vJZzjd9BCvHVyD8V0zxG887xPlx 9/DPEX1 l8fR7/89oY4kNMbS GKARDFIIhCsEQhWCIQjBEIRiiEAxRCIYoBEMUgiEKwRCFYIhCM EQhGKIQDFEIhigEQxSCIQrBEIVgiEIwRCEYohAMUQiGKARDFII hCsEQhWCIQjBEIRiiEAxRCIYoBEMUgiEKwRCFYIhCMEQhGKIQD FEIHyH6 Jz /APLjkdz qzXSAAAAABJRU5ErkJggg==

bergerud
02-13-2015, 07:54 PM
If the machine does not drill the hole in the y center, you will have to calibrate the y offset. I think it is as simple as that. See the second post in this thread.

jkbogi
02-14-2015, 07:17 AM
I've been trying the calibrate the y axis. It started at the default of -.021. I slowly increased this to -.027. Its almost there but not perfect. It won't go any farther than -.027. Another .001 would probably make it just right. I've seen a little uneven cutting on the y axis, too. I've ordered a new belt to try that. If I still have a problem, I'll probably replace the y drive motor. Something has to work for me.

bergerud
02-14-2015, 09:01 AM
If it is consistently offset, I cannot see it being the y drive system. The y offset being out of software range does imply a hardware problem. I wonder if it could be the board sensor. (They are cheap and a spare is good to have anyway.)

bergerud
02-14-2015, 09:39 AM
I have a second thought. Have you gone through the board sensor calibration procedure? (Calibrating the Edge Sensor) It requires a 3/8" straight bit and a 12" board. If I recall, the procedure resets the default. You should give it a try if you have not already.

jkbogi
02-14-2015, 12:10 PM
Is the procedure in the manual? I have not tried to reset the defaults by going through the board sensor calibration.

bergerud
02-14-2015, 12:15 PM
Page 3 : http://www.carvewright.com/assets/se...alibration.pdf (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/Carvewright_User_Calibration.pdf)

jkbogi
03-03-2015, 03:24 PM
I have been through the calibration procedure numerous times with unsatisfactory results. Today I replaced the Y motor, Y belt and board sensor. I again adjusted the offset to maximum distance away from the panel. It won't accept anything past 0.027. The alignment is still not perfect. It needs to move farther away. Are there any other adjustments that can be made? Can the squaring plate on the panel side be adjusted to move the board closer to the panel? Would that help?

bergerud
03-03-2015, 03:32 PM
It may be that you need LHR to reset the internal y calibration default. (I am not sure of what I am saying!) Maybe you should give them a call. They may send you a file which will change the calibration.