PDA

View Full Version : Shop Fox 1.5 hp DC unit

edsingletary
02-01-2015, 07:22 PM
I will be installing my first DC unit and want to do it right. I ordered the wyes, blast gates, 2.5" hose, 4" hose flexible. My question is about grounding all the machines that connect to the system, 4 machines total, plus a "floater" I can use for various other things. I have read somewhere before about running a bare wire through the hose and connect to the CW and then to the DC and I assume to a ground rod in the ground. Is this the best way to collect static charge from the dust? I am trying do get this right from the start so I won't be burdened taking it apart or even damaging the tools . They all cost to much to fry by doing something stupid. Any suggestions from the pro's out there. All your suggestions are important to me. Thanks for helping

dehrlich
02-02-2015, 01:24 AM
I have mine done that way. I got a roll of bare strand wire from Lowes I believe and run it all the way through the system. When you come to a blast gate drill a hole and bring it outside the gate, seal the hole with caulk. Ground the system to anything you can, jointer, table saw, dust collector. I didn't connect mine to a ground rod or anything and have had no problems. My system uses PVC pipe and the wire takes care of the static so far. I have found that using a couple wraps of duct tape on the plastic blast gates makes it easier to clamp the hose and get it to not slip. Good luck

Mugsowner
02-02-2015, 06:03 AM
Anything metal that is grounded already will work. If all ground wiring is tied together you only need one grounding point, the more the merrier, but you only need one. If the equipment you are using is grounded through the cord back to power panel, they will work great as grounds. To make sure you are grounded through the plug. Use an ohm meter to check the round pin on the plug to the metal frame of the machine to make sure they are connected and frame will work as a ground. Static builds up until it can find an escape, and can jump,if strong enough to get where it wants to go. Grounding stops the build up by offering the escape point. If you pm me I can walk you through the testing end of things. Enjoy

edsingletary
02-02-2015, 03:33 PM
Thanks guys, I appreciate the advise, I will certainly apply it. Being a plumber, I will probably use pvc for the main line which is not long, maybe total 30 ft total developed length. Thanks again.

edsingletary
02-12-2015, 01:25 PM
We'll I got the 1.5 up dust collection set up and taking it on her maiden voyage with the CW right now. All I van say is WOW, should of had this when I started. The amount of dust in the CW is almost zero, it is getting sucked on out way better than the Ridgid shop vac. O noticed by opening a blast door on another machine it pulls better, volume of air I guess. I followed all your help and have it grounded through the hose. Thanks guys, incredibly different. .