PDA

View Full Version : Dust Devil and 2 1/4" Hose

flyingemt
01-31-2015, 04:12 PM
All,

I recently purchased two Dust Devils, one for my A model and another for my new CX (shouldve had today, but damn UPS delayed).

I installed on my A model, and through some creative shopping at Lowes, configured an adapter to go from the 4" to the 2 1/4" hose which is attached to my DC system (shopwide).

Now, in starting a new project, I noticed a significant amount of sawdust left on the project as it exited the machine. I disconnected the adapter, looked into the Dust Devil port and there was a significant amount of dust residing in it.

So, testing theory, I disconnected my DC from the shopwide array and connected directly the 4" tubing. Massive difference in the dust removal. Now, of course, that is to be expected with the increase in CFM, but is anyone having luck or should I say better luck with a 2 1/4" system?

See images below.... Suggestions welcome....

Flying...

cestout
01-31-2015, 04:36 PM
I have 2 on my DC and had to remove the seporator and go to direct connected. I have blast gates to shut off either machine when not in use. Going on what someone here said about blocking the ends of the Dust Devil for more efficiency, I just stuffed a wadded single use plastic bag in the corners to seal them. Haven't carved yet so I don't know if it will help, but seemed easier then shaping wooden blocks. I have a quick connect in my DC system so I can move it to a plainer when needed.
Clint

fwharris
01-31-2015, 05:19 PM
You are probably better off staying with the 4" hose connection. Like you said you get better air flow.

DianMayfield
01-31-2015, 05:24 PM
My husband explained it this way... (numbers are just there as examples, and may not reflect what the DC actually moves) If your DC is capable of moving 100 CFM through the 4 inch header, when it steps down to the 2.25 in, the volume will drop to 50 CFM.. velocity may increase, but the amount of air moving is significantly reduced. When it opens back up to the 4 in connection to the CW, you still only have that 50 CFM, and now the velocity will slow in the 4" section. He recommends a "y" in the 4" at the DC so that you can connect directly to the CW. Use a blast gate as Clint recommends to isolate it when not in use.

Oh, and we put duct tape at the sides and underside of the Dust Devil where it connected to the CW (above red handle). There was quite a bit of leakage from those three points.