PDA

View Full Version : Machine has issues with project

JDPratt
01-30-2015, 10:28 AM
My recently returned from CW-repair machine is having an issue with carving a particular project for a command display board for an Army Unit (Attached). The machine carves the first five letters of the project (or three on the second try) and stops with a cut motor error. Now a cut motor error is nothing new, I can't remember a centerline project that didn't have that error and I just push continue. After I push continue the machine finishes the current letter it is working on then the head travels to the far side away from the key pad and begins carving the rest of the project in air as the board continues to feed. I tried rewriting the project on a new card with the same result. In between the three times I tried to run this project, I ran three other projects which turned out fine. Any help would be appreciated.

C machine running 1.187
Brand new 60 degree V bit
Machine recently returned from CW repair

John

DocWheeler
01-30-2015, 10:51 AM
Sounds like the Y and Z positions get lost.

My thoughts would be a wire shorting out.

unitedcases
01-30-2015, 11:01 AM
How hard would it be to actually rewrite the mpc? If other things are carving fine then could be the file. Have seen that before.

JDPratt
01-30-2015, 11:19 AM
Doc ~ That would sound feasible, but you would think it would do it on other projects as well.

I rewrote the file on a new card to eliminate the chance of a corrupt card or project file with the same result.

DocWheeler
01-30-2015, 12:31 PM
It seems to me that the Z movement for centerline is more
abrupt than anything else that I see the machine do.
The other movements seem more fluid somehow to me.

Try pressing the connectors to make sure that they are tight.
Especially the one that gets disconnected when removing the top.

Just my thoughts.

cestout
01-30-2015, 12:35 PM
I agree , the only thing left is a corrupted file. Try rebuilding it from scratch, or maybe a shorter test version to test in pine. But the cut motor thing is not normal and needs to be addressed. A new sensor (not expensive) or at least check out where the flex shaft connects to the motor.
Clint

JDPratt
01-30-2015, 02:26 PM
I have five machines and the cut motor error is a normal occurance in all five, almost exclusively during centerline projects. Most of the centerline projects I do for the Army are in red oak. Three of these machiens just came back from CW after service and repairs, so I don't think it is the connections causing these errors. But, the rub would be why a centerline project on that card would work while another almost identical centerline project (same font, size, board size) would not and cause the machine to go all "screwy".

cestout
01-30-2015, 05:30 PM
As was suggested, create the project again from scratch. The original file may be corrupted. Test it in pine to save good wood.
Clint

henry1
01-30-2015, 06:49 PM
As was suggested, create the project again from scratch. The original file may be corrupted. Test it in pine to save good wood.
Clint

Follow clint suggestion

JDPratt
02-02-2015, 09:13 AM
Project rewritten on separate card with the same result. Same cut motor error (not uncommon), push continue and the machine finishes a letter, and then ghost carves the project away from the board.

cestout
02-02-2015, 01:55 PM
Check Cut Motor is not common with my 2 machines. I have replace the sensor on my C machine once and I get it ones in a great while and never on vector lettering. I think you need to find that problem.
Clint

JDPratt
02-02-2015, 05:22 PM
I think the issue for the cut motor error is the strain on the motor cutting with a 60 V bit in oak. The real issue is why it wont carve the project. I was finally able to get the work done, but only by breaking the project down into three smaller projects of centerline carving. This increased the work time quite a bit having to load and measure three separate boards and the waste of +7" on every board instead of once.

cestout
02-03-2015, 04:48 PM
Would it have worked to create the project, save it, then delete all but the first section- put it on the card and step1, undo that and delete all but the second- put it on the card etc. Or, if they were all supposed to be individual, cut a piece of 1/4 or 1/8 mdf the width of your project and 8" longer than each section, glue a 4" piece of pine on each end and you have a sled. Just tape the pieces in the sled and no wasted wood and short project are less likely to screw up. I ahve piles o sleds for projects that I do repeatedly.
Clint

JDPratt
02-05-2015, 09:54 AM
I have several sleds for different projects, but for this one it is not practical. Whne I do these command boards I never know if I am going to have 4, 5, 6, or even 10 names/positions on a single board. To do each one separately would waste a lot of time measuring when sometimes it would require 20 different carves.