PDA

View Full Version : Flip Decorate with Text

karossii
01-26-2015, 03:27 PM
Is there any way to flip the 'decorate with text' tool's text from the inside of a rectangle to the outside? Any way to control the direction (clockwise/widdershins) of the text?

Right now, the text seems to follow the inside of a rectangle, square, oval, or circle I create, and travels counter-clockwise around that path. I would prefer to set it so it does the opposite; clockwise around the outer perimeter.

lynnfrwd
01-26-2015, 04:15 PM
Remember, you have to have an open path. Not closed, like a rectangle or circle.

Use the Connected Lines tool starting where you want the text to start and go over the rectangle in the direction you want text to go. Click at each corner until you have traced the rectangle, but do not connect to close the rectangle...stop short. Enter your text and it should follow as desired.

karossii
01-26-2015, 04:24 PM
Huh, that seems odd then - the only times I have ever used it were when drawing a square, rectangle, circle, or oval with those tools (not using splines, arcs, or line segments). So it does work with those closed paths.

But I'll give that a try with the connected lines tool, and see how that comes out. Thanks!

bergerud
01-26-2015, 04:35 PM
Just draw a vector and decorate. The text will start where you started drawing. (As you walk along the vector, the text will be to the left.) A vector from left to right will have the text above. A vector from right to left will have the text below. Circles and rectangles have no well defined starting point or direction sense so they are a crap shoot.

lynnfrwd
01-26-2015, 04:43 PM
So it does work with those closed paths.

It is not supposed to be used with closed vector paths....you can't control the text. It is supposed to be used with open vector paths.

Berg is correct. Left to Right drawn vector text is on top. Right to Left drawn vector, text is on bottom. You may want to draw four separate lines around rectangle to control the direction of your text...maybe you want bottom to read left to right instead of right to left and upside down....

ktjwilliams
02-01-2015, 09:42 PM
Thx Dan ,,, I didn't know bout the left to right and right to left stuff ...

cestout
02-02-2015, 02:21 PM
If you want your text inside a shape that shows (is carved), just draw a line that will not show (not carved) inside the shape and decortate that with the text. The text will carve but the line it is on will not.
Clint