PDA

View Full Version : Aspen wood

myshop1044
01-25-2015, 10:53 AM
I ran across some aspen wood at Lowes, a little pricey, it was in the white wood cheap section, does anybody have any experience with it.
beautiful white wood no knots anywhere.
Perry B.

blhutchens
01-25-2015, 11:07 AM
I have used it. It is very soft so it is prone to fuzzies.
i used it for a large indoor sign but I still put slats on back to keep
it from warping.
i was overall pleased with the outcome.

Sliverfoot
01-25-2015, 02:10 PM
I just ran some and yes it is a little on the fuzzy side. It's very easy to sand, almost too easy, you can sand out some detail. But for larger patterns it's not bad. I think it would definitely be for an indoor project.

Ducky63
01-25-2015, 06:26 PM
Hi Perry, I have ran Aspen through my machine & yes it does fuzz up. It is a hard wood but it is soft like pine. When I finish mine I always seal it with wood sealer before I stain it. Aspen here is cheaper than a lot of the hard woods.

unitedcases
01-25-2015, 10:03 PM
I use aspen for my sleds. And I have one carved design that calls for aspen. Before I carve it I spray a couple coats of sanding sealer. Then I lay stenciled film over that and carve. I sand carefully the carved areas then hit it again with shellac then spray ink. A lot of prep but little to no sanding of paint and not a lot of fuzzies at all. I use so many of these boards now I prep 4 to 5 at a time.

Mugsowner
01-26-2015, 06:16 AM
Aspen/Poplar are close to, if not the softest of the hardwoods. Carves easy with yes a few fuzzies, needing light sanding. This type of wood is not recommended for outdoor use, but can be if sealed well. I have a few projects outside of this wood. If not sealed will weather blackish in a very short time. In the forest a 8 inch tree will rot way in and year to two once it hits to ground

myshop1044
01-26-2015, 08:04 AM
Thanks fellows for the comments, I might give it a try on my next set of crosses for the craft shows.
it just look so good, no knots any where.
thanks again.
great forum.