PDA

View Full Version : Another "Clear Board Sensor" issue

kcc2012
01-21-2015, 09:53 PM
Recently I had some repair issues with my Carvewright and one of the error codes was the "clear board sensor" I ended up replacing the sensor and have only made a half dozen carves with it. Yesterday I started getting the error again. I cleaned the machine three times and the sensor probably a dozen times. I took it out and discovered that the little glass was filled with sawdust on the inside. I don't know how to get the sensor cleaned so Im going to order a new one tomorrow. Is there anything I can do to protect the new sensor to keep it from getting sawdust in it?

Thank you
Ambrose

SteveNelson46
01-21-2015, 10:08 PM
It's a bit tedious but, you can take an X-Acto knife or similar and remove the clear plastic lens. After cleaning out the sawdust you can replace the lens with a little bit of superglue. You have to be careful and not get any glue on the lens except for around the edges. Also, you have to be sure to get it resealed. I have removed the lens and left it off temporarily while waiting for a replacement sensor. It's not recommended but, may get you up and running. If you use air pressure to clean your machine be sure to use very low pressure. High air pressure can loosen the lens and allow sawdust to get inside.

lynnfrwd
01-21-2015, 11:01 PM
A dust collection insert will do wonders. We also suggest you crank the air pressure up to 80-90 psi when cleaning the board sensor. It is the dust in the narrow cavity that needs to be dislodged. Cleaning your machine with compressed air can blow sawdust up into the sensor. Use low pressure inside machine, if you insist on cleaning it that way. Again, no one has expressed regret for buying the dc insert; only that they didn't buy it sooner. Others can attest, it makes a huge difference.

fwharris
01-21-2015, 11:47 PM
You can seal the outer edges with caulking.

kcc2012
01-22-2015, 03:36 PM
Thank you for the replies. I have been saving up for a real air compressor. I have currently been using the canned air they sale at Wal-Mart which I am not very impressed with. As you have pointed out I can see how that has contributed to my problem. As for dust collection I do have the ring neck blues dust collector mounted unfortunately my shop vac has burned out again and I am on my fourth one. Is there a special trick to using a Shop Vac for dust collection. The only tool I use that needs continuous dust collection while in use is the CarveWright so I don't need a very big system.
I guess I just don't know what I am doing and getting frustrated.
Thank you
Ambrose

CNC Carver
01-22-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm using this from Harbor freight seems to do much better than any shop vac I tried.. http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

lynnfrwd
01-22-2015, 03:59 PM
I'm using this from Harbor freight seems to do much better than any shop vac I tried.. http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html

This is the one we use, too. Works great!

lynnfrwd
01-22-2015, 04:04 PM
Thank you for the replies. I have been saving up for a real air compressor. I have currently been using the canned air they sale at Wal-Mart which I am not very impressed with. As you have pointed out I can see how that has contributed to my problem. As for dust collection I do have the ring neck blues dust collector mounted unfortunately my shop vac has burned out again and I am on my fourth one. Is there a special trick to using a Shop Vac for dust collection. The only tool I use that needs continuous dust collection while in use is the CarveWright so I don't need a very big system.
Thank you
Ambrose

Sounds like your air pressure is just not enough to dislodge the dust trapped in that cavity.

lynnfrwd
01-22-2015, 04:10 PM
They also have this air compressor for $30 off, only $59.99 (normal $89.99): http://www.harborfreight.com/3-gallon-100-psi-oilless-pancake-air-compressor-95275.html

Geomoo1
01-22-2015, 04:13 PM
Thank you
Ambrose

Yes! Shop vacs are not made to use for dust collection. They are not made to be left on for extended periods. The motors will burn out. They are just what the name implies ... a shop vacuum. You need to get a "DUST COLLECTOR" such as the one posted by CNC Carver. A dust collector can be used as a shop vacuum but the reverse is not so. Suffice to say; they are two different kinds of tools. One works on suction (vacuum) and the other works on air flow (DC). What you need is air flow, not suction for dust collection. Do some "Googling" on the two and you will see the difference.

cestout
01-22-2015, 05:10 PM
I find that a shop vac is needed to get the larger amount of dust that my DC doesn't get (especially when both machines are running off my one DC), then get the edges, rollers, roller switches, and board sensor with compressed air. Turn the power off ( so the Y truck will move easily), a quick swipe down the middle with the vac them blow it out - about 2.5 min.
Clint

kcc2012
01-25-2015, 02:16 PM
Thank you all for the advice my oldest son was reading over my shoulders and decided to purchase this for me from Amazon and its supposed to be here by Friday.

SHOP FOX W1727 1 HP Dust Collector

Motor: 1 HP, 110V/220V, Single-phase
Amps: 9 @ 110V, 4.5 @ 220V
Air suction capacity: 800 CFM
Static pressure: 5.67"
Height with bags inflated: 54-1/2"

After the mortage is paid I'll get an air compressor that was suggested from Harbor Freight. Ill let you know when everything comes in and I get back up and running.

Thanks
Ambrose

kcc2012
01-30-2015, 01:42 PM
7413474135I got he shop fox in and have it assembled. Now to run a grounding wire and make room for it in my shop.

Geomoo1
01-30-2015, 02:59 PM
One thing you can use the shop vac for is use the exhaust side to blow out the machine instead of an air compressor. Just make sure the CW machine is turned off and the card is unplugged because you have the same static elec. problem when blowing out as when using to vacuum.

kcc2012
02-02-2015, 03:46 PM
I have it all set up and have sawdust. Thank you for all the help.74244 74245