PDA

View Full Version : Free Wheeling Crank

mikemi
01-21-2015, 08:05 PM
Yesterday, after I finished a carve, I turned the crank to raise it and after a couple of turns it felt like it was "free wheeling". I removed the end cover and held onto the large gear and I could turn the crank without any resistance. I was wondering if anyone else ever had this problem and if there is a way to fix this situation? I could not figure out how to remove the gear, clutch plate, etc.
I did order a new lateral stabilizer this morning but I would like to fix this one as a spare if possible. Any ideas?

Mike

SteveNelson46
01-21-2015, 08:36 PM
You probably need a new crank torque plate. Part # 147 in the expanded parts list (link below). Mine cracked into two pieces and gave me the same problem.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

SteveNelson46
01-22-2015, 08:31 AM
You may also need to lube and/or align the guide posts.

mikemi
01-22-2015, 10:12 AM
You probably need a new crank torque plate. Part # 147 in the expanded parts list (link below). Mine cracked into two pieces and gave me the same problem.

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/service/Maintenence/CW_parts_list_manual.pdf

That may be a possibility, but how do you get it out to replace it?

Mike

SteveNelson46
01-22-2015, 11:26 AM
I would try lubing and/or aligning the guideposts first. Also, check the screw that holds the crank in place as it may have worked loose. If that doesn't work then you can proceed with disassembling the crank assembly. I cannot find any documents on the Carvewright site that explains the replacement of the crank assembly so I will try to explain this from memory. Remove the left side cover, the one with the crank assembly and keypad. Carefully unplug the ribbon cables. You will have to remove one screw on the plastic dust cover. On the inside of the cover you will see six screws. Removing the screws will allow you to get to the crank assembly on the inside of the top. When you disassemble the crank assembly take a picture of each step to make it easier to reassemble it. There are a lot of small parts, gears, and springs so taking a picture of each step will help when you try to put it back together. The crank torque plate is a small disc about 1 inch in diameter. Mine split into so smoothly that I thought it was supposed to be that way at first. When you reassemble the crank handle be sure all of the parts are in the correct place. Tightening the screw when the parts are not correctly aligned will probably break the crank torque plate. I think that's how I broke mine.

Digitalwoodshop
01-22-2015, 02:36 PM
The handle slides into a notch in the assembly.. Slowley rotate the handle while pushing in slightly on the screw area of the handle and it may fall into the slot then you tighten the screw...

WAG.. Wild AL Guess...

cestout
01-22-2015, 05:00 PM
Sounds like the crank torque plate. I am on my third on my C machine and the original in my B machine. Not really hard to replace, juat follow the PDF - but a hint on reassembly: Run one of the post bolts thru the side from the back side where the crank shaft screws in. Let it protrude about 1/16" to hold the spacer washer in place while you slid the gear back in place. Back it out to install the crank shaft.
Clint
Clint

mikemi
01-22-2015, 08:18 PM
Thanks Steve, Al & Clint,

I finally got the cranking mechanism out and found out the the clutch plate was split in half. As I mentioned, I have a new lateral stabilizer on the way and luckily I have another machine if anything critical comes up. I will have to order a couple of the clutch plates and do the repair and then I will have a spare lateral stabilizer to switch out if this happens again.

Thanks again for the help,
Mike