PDA

View Full Version : February 2015 Project of the Month - The Noble Pedestal Clock

mtylerfl
01-21-2015, 07:51 PM
Hello,

The Noble Pedestal Clock combines functionality with pleasing aesthetics for your home decor. Use it for yourself, give as a gift or sell this unique clock at Arts & Craft venues for extra income. This project features segmented layer construction with a secure mortise and tenon method of attaching the pedestal to the base component.

The project uses just the 1/16" Carving Bit and the 1/8" Cutting Bit. No other bits are required. The Nobel Pedestal Clock is about is about 6.5" wide 6" deep x 12.7" tall.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Clock_Face-Back.mpc
• Middle_and_Base.mpc
• Pedestal_Parts.mpc

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Face-Back: 0.75" x 7.2" x 20.5"
Middle_Base: 0.75" x 11" x 21.5"
Pedestal_Parts: 0.5" x 5.5" x 17.5"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) A 3½" clock insert (we used model #15455 from http://www.klockit.com)

4) Sandpaper, glue, epoxy, stain and/or paint and clear finish

5) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply stain/paint and clearcoat of your choice. Here’s what I used on my Noble Pedestal Clock made from Select Pine:

• Rust-Oleum Ultimate Stain - Black Cherry
• Several coats spray Shellac
• Several coats of Krylon Clear Acrylic spray

Smoken D
01-22-2015, 08:41 AM
Michael very Noble of you,;) a beautiful piece. Will be fun to make for several I know. Thanks!

dbemus
01-22-2015, 03:31 PM
Michael,

Absolutely gorgeous project! Noble clock indeed! Can't wait to carve this one! Thank you!

dbemus

ekimnamyr
01-22-2015, 04:39 PM
Great project again Michael, This will look awesome on the mantel, Thanks again job well done,

mtylerfl
01-23-2015, 07:34 AM
Thank you all! This project uses an assembly-layer technique that could be used/modified for a lot of other projects. I hope it inspires!