PDA

View Full Version : board too thick to cut thru ?

myshop1044
01-21-2015, 02:35 PM
I am doing a 2 sided carvings that I have done before some time back in a sled. On the back side it will ask for the carving bit, but when it finishes measuring the length and width , it does it's thing of homing and touching the board surface. The it goes thru motion like it has a cutting bit and probes the left side, then the right side twice, the guide plate and tell me the "board is to thick to cut thru". my question is why. I do answer 'no" the jig or sled question, cause I have been doing 2 sided carves long before 3.0 came out with the sled question and I didn't feel a need to use it.
On the front side it asked for the 60 deg. "V" bit then cutting bit, I also notice it does "not" probe the board, only the left side once then it ask for the carving bit. I goes about it's business, carving and texting, but then when the cutting bit used, it seem to ignore the 3/4" board thickness and tried to do a cut pass all the way into the sled.
Is it the combination of the sled question and probing with the carving bit.
How can you turn off the "sled question".
any help would be great!
PS if I stop the cut path on the second pass everything is normal with tabs and all.

Perry B.

fwharris
01-21-2015, 04:55 PM
With the sled it is seeing your actual thickness is more than your design thickness so it is verifying/checking to see if it is a real board or a board in a sled/jig.

myshop1044
01-22-2015, 08:22 AM
guess what, I did a test and said yes to the jig question and followed the commands as requested and it still probed the jig with the carving bit and told me the "board was to thick". I thought when you said it was in a sled, it would ignore the thickness especially on the back side of the carve. To me it should not be probing the board until it got to the front side of the project where it does the cut path ?????

bergerud
01-22-2015, 08:32 AM
Can you post an mpc which demonstrates the problem?

SteveNelson46
01-22-2015, 08:49 AM
There may be some problems with the program using the cut path. I designed a picture frame using a 1 inch thick board with exterior and interior cutouts. Everything seemed to be okay and I even uploaded it to the data card. In retrospect, I decided to change the cutting bit to the 3/16 cutting bit since there wasn't very much detail. The program gave me a warning and highlighted all of the cut paths and would not allow me to save the changes in the board set up dialog box. I removed the cut paths and tried to change the cutting bit again without any problems. After reestablishing the cut paths I uploaded it to the card and carved the project without incident. I was not using a sled but, it was a two-sided project. The point here is that I think there are some problems in this area of the program. They were in previous versions also and have not been addressed. Your problem may be related.

bergerud
01-22-2015, 11:26 AM
I do know of one thing which you may be eluding to. If you start with a 1" thick board and make a cut path, all good. If, however, you now want to change ANY board settings, you will get a message "The board has cut throughs too deep ... " and you can only exit. This was a change implemented in V2 I think. The idea was to leave an extra 1/16" of the cutting bit to "make it through". That is: the new max cutting depth is really 15/16". For reasons of backward compatibility, the 1" still works if you do not try and mess with it!

I do not think this is what myshop is having problems with.

myshop1044
01-22-2015, 12:40 PM
I made a video on my phone and have not had the time to attach it to the forum as of yet , will try later.

SteveNelson46
01-22-2015, 01:11 PM
I do know of one thing which you may be eluding to. If you start with a 1" thick board and make a cut path, all good. If, however, you now want to change ANY board settings, you will get a message "The board has cut throughs too deep ... " and you can only exit. This was a change implemented in V2 I think. The idea was to leave an extra 1/16" of the cutting bit to "make it through". That is: the new max cutting depth is really 15/16". For reasons of backward compatibility, the 1" still works if you do not try and mess with it!

I do not think this is what myshop is having problems with.

Thinking back, I did get an error message on the machine saying the board was too thick to cut through but, it gave me the option to continue. It did so without further warnings and cut through the board leaving the tabs just fine. I thought maybe the two problems could be related.

DickB
01-22-2015, 02:56 PM
I have several sleds; one of them has 3/4" rails on top of a 1/4" plywood base. I have sometimes gotten the "too thick to cut through" message with this sled; at other times not. I have responded to continue, and it cut fine project board only with tabs. However I have had a couple of occasions where it cut into the sled, and because of this there were no tabs on the 3/4" project board, and broke a bit. I have not been able to figure out why the differences. It may be related to the actual length of the particular 1/8" cutting bit used at the time.

With 1/4" project board on a 1/2" sled base I will get a prompt to cut through the board or project. I didn't get that prompt with the 3/4" board on 1/4" sled base - only continue or not.

Something is not right, but as I say I have not been able to figure out what is going on. I now use my sled with a 3/4" base most of the time.

myshop1044
01-22-2015, 06:42 PM
Thank you fellows for your input. I did some tests,
1. 3/4" board, no sled, 2 sided carve, I did get the question about the jig, I said (2) no and it went on with the process, no problems.
2. hid the back side carving, with the sled, 3/4" board, it did not ask about the jig, but it did say board was to thick to cut thru.
3. I have done at least 40 of this same project with the same sled, but I was using 1.87 at the time, not I have both 1.87 and 3.0.
4. It appears to have connection with 2 sided carvings, a sled, and 3.0 ,weather you yes or no to sled question, it still said "to thick to cut thru"
when it stated it was to thick, I just said continue and it finished the project, but cut into my sled and it made me worry about breaking a 1/8" cutting bit. I only have 5 more to go so I will just limp along.
see attached pictures of the project, and sled

bergerud
01-22-2015, 07:33 PM
You could reflash your card with 1.187 firmware to finish your 5 cutouts. I assume that the problem is in the newer firmware. I am thinking that a bug could have been introduced when the "flip jig" feature was added.

I will try some experiments. It would really help if someone had a simple mpc which recreated the problem. I take it from you both (Perry and Dick) that the problem should arise for a 3/4" thick double sided project on a 1/4" thick sled. Carving on the back and cutout on the front.

myshop1044
01-22-2015, 08:15 PM
I tried to attached the project mpc, it is too large for the forum. If you PM me your e-mail address I will send it that way.
My e-mail is PGBonin@yahoo.com .
I looked at my flash card and all my projects are version 1.187, but I still get the jig question. Is there a way to turn off the jig question on the machine?

bergerud
01-22-2015, 08:26 PM
You have to change the firmware on the card. With the card in the reader, open the flash manager (File-Flash Manager). Push the firmware button. Now press the middle Choose button. Now you have to navigate to the Carvewright 1.187 directory (just called Carvewright). Double click on the file there called control.mwm.

(It is easy to return to the newest firmware because it will always be asking you to it whenever you upload from the newer Designer.)

DickB
01-23-2015, 08:34 AM
I will try some experiments. It would really help if someone had a simple mpc which recreated the problem. I take it from you both (Perry and Dick) that the problem should arise for a 3/4" thick double sided project on a 1/4" thick sled. Carving on the back and cutout on the front.I had the issue with single-sided cutout if I recall correctly. Just create a circle with a cutout, max depth.25" per pass, I think that should do it. I also had different behavior with the standard Carvewright 1/8" cutting bit and a slightly longer bit in an ER11 adapter. I am away from my shop and cannot experiment myself.