PDA

View Full Version : Help identifying this wood and ideas on using ????

michaeldove
01-21-2015, 07:34 AM

A friend brought over several of these pieces in hopes that I could make of couple clocks and a couple plaques. I don't have too much experience (yet) in woodworking so I have a couple questions that maybe someone could help me with:
1. What type of wood is this? I'm assuming my machine won't care but I don't want to break something because of my ignorance.
2. The pieces are about 14.75 inches across and obviously the machine will do 14. Is there a creative way that I can cut the piece to carve it--I'm thinking maybe cut it in half and carve each side of a pattern then glue, sand, and finish??? I know I'll have to use a sled, which I've never done, so maybe I'm "barking up the wrong tree"...sorry couldn't resist.

He would like for me to use the pieces because they look cool but with the sizes it may not be possible. For some reason I told him I'll figure something out, a bad habit that comes from inexperience. Any suggestions or feedback is appreciated.

dehrlich
01-21-2015, 08:04 AM
Looks like that would be whats called "flamed" boxelder. If it were cut into boards it would be multi color streaky flamed appearance, I'm sure you can google it. I have see lots of bowl blanks of this stuff and looks to me like that's what it is. Of course, I could be wrong... hasn't happened yet this year.

ktjwilliams
01-21-2015, 10:38 AM
If it was me, I'd just cut an inch off of one side on the bandsaw then put that edge against the fence on my table saw and cut an inch off the other side.. Then carve and glue the 2 small pieces back ... This way there'd be no trying to match patterns up ...

DocWheeler
01-21-2015, 12:25 PM
Before cutting it, make sure it is bigger than 14.5" on its shortest axis - a shame to cut if unnecessary.

Creating a sled for it will be tricky if it isn't uniformly thick.
You would pieced-rails to keep the rollers up.
It is something that you could definitely do.

cestout
01-22-2015, 05:43 PM
To create a jig to put it in, you will have to allow for side rails, so 13" is probably the Max you can fit, so do as suggested and, after you mark the center, cut a little off each side. Build a sled with a 1/8 or 1/4 in MDG base, 1/2" rails 4" ends and jog to center.
Clint

DocWheeler
01-22-2015, 07:24 PM
I guess I was not specific enough; the board itself can be part of the side rails.
You would just need to be creative in creating the sled.

michaeldove
01-23-2015, 12:27 PM
I appreciate the suggestions and I think cutting an inch from the sides will accomplish what I need to do. I'm letting it dry out more and I'm a little worried it may crack too much to use. Hopefully I can use these pieces. Thanks.

Canemaker
01-23-2015, 03:27 PM
I've posted your question to an expert wood worker friend of mine, he stated that the wood is called box elder. Normally the ends of the cut log would be sealed with wax to prevent the ends of the log from releasing moisture quicker than the rest of the log. He further stated that you should put some paint on the ends of your piece to let it acclimate to your environment. Hopes that helps. JOhn

dehrlich
01-23-2015, 04:31 PM
I've posted your question to an expert wood worker friend of mine, he stated that the wood is called box elder. Normally the ends of the cut log would be sealed with wax to prevent the ends of the log from releasing moisture quicker than the rest of the log. He further stated that you should put some paint on the ends of your piece to let it acclimate to your environment. Hopes that helps. JOhn

Glad my opinion was confirmed. Thanks!

ktjwilliams
01-24-2015, 08:28 AM
I would carve it now before any cracking starts at the Pith ... After carving I would melt some wax and cover both sides with it .. Who knows, it may look good coated in wax ...

michaeldove
01-26-2015, 01:21 PM
Thanks all for the good information. I brought 1 piece in the house to see how much it would crack (shrink) and it was pretty significant. I left the other pieces outside until I get the pattern done. Hopefully, I'll get good results when I'm ready to carve.