PDA

View Full Version : 1/32

dltccf
01-19-2015, 09:26 PM
I just got the ad for the new 1/32 bit. I assume there have been beta testers who have already carved with it. Any care to comment on the improvement in resolution? I would be interested in particular how the rotary lithographs work with the bit. Does it change to speed of the bit, length of time to carve. Do you have to use Best or Optimal to get better results?

What other applications benefit? Can it be used for general use or is it limited like the 1/16 cutting bit?

Thanks,
dave

bergerud
01-19-2015, 10:03 PM
The first I heard of the 1/32 bit was today. I do not know if any other beta testers got a chance to try it, but I did not.

I recall Jeff Birt and 200k experimenting with a 1/32 bit to see if they could get more detailed lithos. I do not think the results were so good. Not so smooth if I recall. (One could mine the archives to review his results. Start with http://forum.carvewright.com/showthread.php?23717-Lithopane-comparison-between-1-16-quot-and-1-32-quot-bits&p=208935#post208935)

The situation, however, should now be different. With bit optimization best programed for the size of the 1/32 bit, one should get a smoother, more detailed result.

lynnfrwd
01-19-2015, 10:28 PM
As I told a fellow CW owner, it will carve the detail finer if the detail is there to be carved.

eelamb
01-20-2015, 06:33 AM
Email states it requires designer 3.12, with this, I would say anything tried in the past is not relevant, for designer 3.12 now knows how to handle the 1/32" bit.

blhutchens
01-20-2015, 06:42 AM
This was a needed improvement. I have been waiting for it because I knew the software would not work with the 1/32 bit that has been available elsewhere for a while.

DianMayfield
01-20-2015, 08:35 AM
Will v3 let you assign different carving bits to different elements of the project? Say you carve the predominant potion of the sign with the 1/16th, and then have a region that you want finer detail.

I suspect that the finer point will dull faster, and in a large carve there would be a lot of background removed that doesn't require such a level of detail.

Hummm .... quieter motor or v3, such a dilemma.

bergerud
01-20-2015, 09:19 AM
Being able to assign different carving bit within a project is a good wishlist idea.

Go for V3! I think the quieter motor just has a smaller front fan.

blhutchens
01-20-2015, 09:27 AM
Will v3 let you assign different carving bits to different elements of the project? Say you carve the predominant potion of the sign with the 1/16th, and then have a region that you want finer detail.

I suspect that the finer point will dull faster, and in a large carve there would be a lot of background removed that doesn't require such a level of detail.

Hummm .... quieter motor or v3, such a dilemma.

I would definitely go for v3. You can do what you are talking about, it just has to be done with 2 separate mpc files. I have done this on some deeper carves just to get some of them material out to save wear and tear on the machine.

CarverJerry
01-20-2015, 02:21 PM
What I see is that using the V3 designer and the selected 1/32" bit the designer will taker smaller X moves than using the other bits. I would say if I'm correct on this that the carving will take longer to cut but it would sure make those details show up better. Would be like selecting a finer feed rate on a lathe to get a good finish using a sharp pointed tool vs using a course feed rate using the same tool will give you a finish looking like a thread. Hope this makes sense.

zan29
01-20-2015, 03:55 PM
I have been using a 1/32" (not a CW) for the past year with my other machine and it works great for those fine details...........mostly lithos and very small pieces like pendants.
I do recommend it.....I'm sure the CW is as good as mine.

cestout
01-20-2015, 06:46 PM
Using the 1/32 bit, what carving setting would I use? I would use Optomal for a 1/16 bit to get best detail, but does the firmware automatically figure that in or do we still have to pick one?
Clint