PDA

View Full Version : Help with pattern needed.. not the type you might think!

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 08:48 AM
Hey folks,

I would like to do something but need the help of this talented folks that might want to join in.

This is a memorial that is/was on display in a North Carolina town until some anti christian group decided it had to go.

I would like to know if someone here could capture the outline of the soldier, helmut, rifle and cross and make it into a cut path. Then size it up so it will fit on a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood. You would have to break it into squares that could be assembled and taped together to make the pattern. Say 12" wide and 4 or 8 foot long strips of MDF when put together make the full outline that can be then transferred to the plywood and cut out with a jig saw.

I have a good sized yard and would love to have this on display in it. Others may want it as well.

Thanks,

Steve

PM me if you would like to help or post here.

bergerud
01-13-2015, 09:49 AM
Were you thinking something like this? (One could now use the trim tool to break up the curves.)

CNC Carver
01-13-2015, 10:15 AM
Nice work!

lynnfrwd
01-13-2015, 10:40 AM
This is a very common cut out. I have seen it in both wood and metal.

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Yes Connie. If it could be segmented so it the actual pattern segments could be cut out on the carvewright and assembled into a large pattern that could be placed on a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood. I could then cut the profile out, paint black and display in the yard.

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 10:55 AM
Yup. Now can it be tiled into sizes the CW can cut out? It can then be assembled into a full size pattern then.

Great job! Thx

bergerud
Why not just print it on paper and glue the paper to the plywood as the template?

lynnfrwd
I like it!!

lynnfrwd
01-13-2015, 10:56 AM
If you know someone with a projector, you could project it onto the plywood and trace.

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 11:04 AM
Hence the problem.. I don't

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 11:05 AM
That would work but it still would need to be up-sized and gridded so the papers could be taped together. Ideas on how to do this?

bergerud
01-13-2015, 11:09 AM
I have an old drawing program that prints over many pages. I will play with it when I get home from work.

DocWheeler
01-13-2015, 11:17 AM
Steve, with a light behind a small cutout of it you could trace it on your board.
Just a thought.

tierman
01-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Steve, with a light behind a small cutout of it you could trace it on your board.
Just a thought.
Ken, Now that is "old school" and I luv it! Thanks for reminding me how to do that. Roger

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 11:37 AM
That would work Ken but I am looking for a more permanent type of template that could be segmented together like a grid. This would be good incase more folks want it. These are being banned on public property across the country so I wanted something that private folks could have for their yards, etc. The government may run from a fight but that doesn't mean we have to! Something that could be cut out on the CW and assembled then used as a template OR as the actual display itself would be cool. Nice and big too.. Like 4 X 8' worth for the front yard.

DocWheeler
01-13-2015, 12:16 PM
Ken, Now that is "old school" and I luv it! Thanks for reminding me how to do that. Roger

Roger, a lot of my thoughts contain "old school" ideas, that is what happens when you are an old-poop.
I wondered, while typing "Alt-2-3-6", in another post just how many people would know what I was talking about.
Those were the days, before the mouse, when you could use character 255 to keep people out of a directory.

The next step is dementia where all ideas are new!

CarverJerry
01-13-2015, 12:56 PM
Ken, yeppers, thats old school using "DOS" for commands....before windows were invented, windows meaning Microsoft Operating System. I took DOS back in the late - early 90's....then started with windows 3.1
I understand what Steve is wanting to do and why, it would be very much like a jig saw puzzle. I hope someone can help him out here and make it possible for him.

bjbethke
01-13-2015, 01:37 PM
Hey folks,

I would like to do something but need the help of this talented folks that might want to join in.

This is a memorial that is/was on display in a North Carolina town until some anti christian group decided it had to go.

I would like to know if someone here could capture the outline of the soldier, helmut, rifle and cross and make it into a cut path. Then size it up so it will fit on a 4 X 8 sheet of plywood. You would have to break it into squares that could be assembled and taped together to make the pattern. Say 12" wide and 4 or 8 foot long strips of MDF when put together make the full outline that can be then transferred to the plywood and cut out with a jig saw.

I have a good sized yard and would love to have this on display in it. Others may want it as well.

Thanks,

Steve

PM me if you would like to help or post here.

You could carve that out with 3 or 4 fourteen inch wide boards - Will this work?

myshop1044
01-13-2015, 01:47 PM
This soldier and cross removal is now being discussed on Fox News right now.

DocWheeler
01-13-2015, 01:47 PM
BJ, damn you're good, especially for an old fart!

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 03:34 PM
Yup.. BJ That will work. I can shorten the boards too!

Thx!

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 03:37 PM
This soldier and cross removal is now being discussed on Fox News right now.

Yea.. That's where I got the idea. They may be able to force it off of public land but would have a difficult time getting it off of mine! Maybe it should catch on and be on display in thousands of yards! Maybe they would learn not to piss us off!

DocWheeler
01-13-2015, 03:42 PM
And all in the name of fairness and respect for the feelings of others.
This PC BS needs to be reversed big-time.

SteveEJ
01-13-2015, 04:32 PM
Freedom is going away Doc.. Political correctness is taking over and the whole time we are distracted by these 'PC' people the extremists are moving in with lambs clothing on. JMHO

bjbethke
01-13-2015, 05:42 PM
BJ, damn you're good, especially for an old fart!

YEA; we are getting there. I'm not buying all the new CarveWright stuff, I may not live long enough to get my money back. ;)

Making patterns helps my mind think???

bjbethke
01-13-2015, 05:56 PM
Yup.. BJ That will work. I can shorten the boards too!

Thx!

I worked on another one; three boards - just carve, paint and tie them to a post.

bergerud
01-13-2015, 07:11 PM
See what you think of this. Print the pages and glue them onto a template board.

Geomoo1
01-13-2015, 07:49 PM
HERE (http://woodgears.ca/bigprint/index.html) is a program called Big Print. You can download the trial version and use it to make a printed pattern to put on the wood for cutting out.

mikemi
01-13-2015, 07:53 PM
This is awesome guys. I was just thinking yesterday how I could accomplish this same project. I had read about it on MSNBC.COM and it P***ed me off.
I was in Vietnam, as many of you were, and supposedly fought for all of our freedoms and slowly the PC is taking them all away.
I just showed this to my wife and ask her if she had any objections and she said "Go for it".

Mike