PDA

View Full Version : Font Question?

Iron Mike
01-12-2015, 02:23 PM
:confused: I have a favorite quote which I want to put on a board but the fonts I'm interested in using limit the minimum size that can be easily read. The photo shows some of the quote I did in testing the font style and sizes. I used my Celtic & Script (std & bold) fonts using both 60 & 90 degree bits and sized for use on boards of 12"x20" & 9"x15". Even when I use the 12"x20" board size the inside of some letters are not distinct, i.e the loops of the letters a,e,d,o,r,s, etc. The Celtic is better than the script but still a bit indistinct on some letters. I would prefer to use the 9"x15" size or slightly smaller.

Is it my font? I guess I could try to cheat the depth of the 60 degree bit after it measures the board thickness so it would carve shallower but would like to know if that is the right or only approach. Any suggestions for me?

THANKS

blhutchens
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM
I have done what you are talking about and that is an option. I have also used a carving bit for smaller letters.

DianMayfield
01-12-2015, 04:12 PM
I have had success with smaller fonts by telling the CW I was using a 90deg bit so it will carve shallower and loading the 60deg instead when prompted for the 90.

SteveNelson46
01-12-2015, 08:22 PM
I have a 120 degree v-bit that I bought from Sears a couple of years ago that I use for small lettering. It has a double end and I use it with a stop collar (shown in pic) and the adapter for the CT chuck. I tell the software to use the 60 degree bit in bold and then substitute this bit at the machine. It works pretty good as long as the lettering isn't tool small.