PDA

View Full Version : Question for sign people.

cestout
01-12-2015, 01:06 PM
What wood do you recommend for larger outdoor signs. I am looking at 8 to 10 ft long and 13in wide - if the card will hold that.
Thanks
Clint

blhutchens
01-12-2015, 01:26 PM
Western red cedar is what the sign builders I have talked to use. Or Sign foam

unitedcases
01-12-2015, 01:42 PM
Douglas fir carves well and holds up. But likes to bow. I have made a few using pvc boards from Lowe's and they carve excellent and are weatherproof.

tcough3475
01-12-2015, 03:31 PM
Cestout,

My experience has led me to a couple observations when doing projects like this:

1) Use as light a material as possible
2) Provide plenty of support (outfeed rollers)
3) Masking tape (you know where it goes)

Things to consider when selecting the material on something this long is determining if the bit will stay sharp enough to finish the project. This becomes a real problem with hardwoods.

I've found that sign foam (available in 4x8 sheets) eliminates the weight and dull bit problems but you'll still need to support the project as the foam can break easily. And it may sound expensive at first, but price wise, it's about the same cost as most of the usual hardwoods (oak, walnut, maple).

The length shouldn't create too much a problem for you. You can glue the additional length using gorilla glue and it becomes invisible when you carve. You'll need to use a primer/sealer for the foam and the manufacturers web site will give you great technique/resource information.

Good luck and let me know if you have more questions.

cestout
01-12-2015, 06:06 PM
Thank you all for your input. I think I probably will go with the cedar from the quick phone conversation I had with him. My phone number is on my web site but my email is not - contact page inatead. So I gave him my email and he will send sketches and pictures.
Clint

RogerB
01-12-2015, 07:27 PM
When using Cedar for signs most use Red Cedar quarter sawn it carves great and sand blasting. Glue with apoxy for out doors.