PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started

Sliverfoot
01-10-2015, 10:00 AM
I'm hoping that someone can help me get started with a sign that I would like to make for my, soon to be here, grandson Parker.
I would like to do something that has a center area (sign) that I can fill in with animals. The part I can't figure out how to start is this. If the center area is say 30" by 8", I would like to have his name Parker layered on the top but extending beyond the 8" width and Place layered on the bottom extending below the 8" width.
Do I put the text down first or the sign box? Do I import text from a paint program so that it can use outline pattern and then the text that extends beyond the center can be cut out?
Just not sure what to do or were to find direction. I read the Tips and Tricks on "Over Hang Pattern" but I'm not sure that applies here.
I would appreciate a guide on this as I would like to learn if this is possible and how to do it now and maybe in the future.

bergerud
01-10-2015, 10:39 AM
Do you mean something like this? If so, just make the text and an 8 X 30 carve region rectangle on the board. Select all three and then use outline patterns.

Edit: note this was done in 1.187 and will not look right in 2.0 or 3.0 because of the text engine changes. When one asks questions on the forum involving text, I suppose one should indicate which version of Designer one is using.

Sliverfoot
01-10-2015, 11:29 AM
Sorry I should have included that I'm using 3.0. But yes that is exactly what I ment.

NLAlston
02-07-2015, 03:22 PM
Very interesting. Glad I caught this.