PDA

View Full Version : Back roller stuck ?

myshop1044
01-09-2015, 04:48 PM
I got this same error 3 times in the exact same place on each pass of the cut path. I hit "enter" and it completed it pass and finished with no other trouble.
Strangely enough I then check the back roller and it rolled very easily. I then switched to the #2 machine and the same error in the same position
on each pass. I never had that come up before.
see attached, I placed a bit it the position where the error occurred. Has any body ever had this happen on the Jesus on the tree pattern before.
It doesn't seem to be a big deal , but if you are not standing there to catch the error, it will slow down the project.

Canemaker
01-09-2015, 04:54 PM
Sorry to hear about your problems, but I did have a similar problem on a project. But as you said, I also hit enter and completed the project. Blew out the roller and it seemed to correct the problem.

bergerud
01-09-2015, 06:17 PM
Looks to me like your carving is too close to the edge. The roller dropped into the carving and switched. (You ignored a warning message on upload?)

blhutchens
01-09-2015, 06:22 PM
I have carved over 300 of those and never once had that issue.
I always allow 1/2" on each side of the carve minimum.

myshop1044
01-10-2015, 08:19 AM
thanks for the observation , I will check it out closer. I was pushing the envelope on this one. I had some wood that I needed
to use for this project.
thanks again
Perry B.

Digitalwoodshop
01-10-2015, 12:28 PM
If you measure from the bit position to the right in X to where the carving cut away the edge of the board it should be 3.5 inches and where the roller dropped into the carve region. Taping some runners on the edge of the board sides and making the designer board that much wider will leave the runners to hold up the roller.

AL

myshop1044
01-10-2015, 03:21 PM
You were both correct, I should have had the 1/2" on the sides. second I checked the board from the side and the cypress was crushed by the roller because the edge was very thin. I did the last project in Alder and even though the edge was the same thickness the alder is a harder wood and did not get crushed and I had no errors see attached, the first 2 are the cypress and the last is alder .
A good lesson learned by a 5 year man.