PDA

View Full Version : One of a kind military coin holder (its supposed to remind you of a book)

oscarl48
01-06-2015, 07:39 PM
It is going to be one of a kind because it is way too funky to redo. Did you ever have a great idea that should have stayed in your head? hmmm. I'm thinking it may have been this project for me.

But since I designed and carved it I thought I would share my joys and disappointments. It is made from cherry, padauk, and black walnut.

First the carvings. The FB-111 carved beautifully. The C-130 did not. It is way too flat. Don't carve that one. The Delta 2 rocket was a so-so success. Probably would try redoing it again if I was going to re-carve for something else. The Minuteman III was actually okay. I have carved this one larger and it looks passable. The UH-1 was terrible. Again don't carve. The gravity weapon was a home run. It carved great. The poem on the left is by Mary Frye, Don't stand at my grave and weep. The phrase on the right are the Air Force core values. The center is a Master Missileer emblem which also did not come out great. The concept was to highlight the weapons platforms I had the pleasure of being part of during my career and make it look almost like a book. The design I think looks more like a memorial instead of a book.

Over all I think this is a C+ design but after having carved it I will still display somewhere around the house.

I've shared the FB-111, C-130, UH-1 designs under the pattern sharing section if anyone is interested in playing with them.

blhutchens
01-06-2015, 07:58 PM
That looks pretty awesome to me

Gary Koval
01-07-2015, 07:10 AM
I'm with Brent, I believe that the project is awesome, and yes, I have made several over the years that should have stayed in my head... But it's the "at least you're trying", that keeps me going.Gary

oscarl48
01-07-2015, 09:30 AM
Brent, Gary,

Thanks to both for the kind words.

Gary,

You are right. Designing and creating the images are half the fun. Doing these projects wash away all the frustrations of the day. And surprisingly most of the designs actually do come out to something resembling what was in my mind. This one was a little bit off.

Regards,
Oscar

Mugsowner
01-07-2015, 07:49 PM
I agree these look nice. I have found that I never carve any new designs without rotating t make sure all the heights are somewhere that I want them.