PDA

View Full Version : Missing Washer

JimmieDuke
01-06-2015, 01:45 PM
I am finally getting around to replacing the Z-truck with the CarveTight system.
My assembly has the slot on the lower left side of the casting and therefore, I am suppose to place the washer on the lower right roller.
However, I did not receive the washer with the other parts.
Is it a washer I can get at local hardware store or do I need the one LHR is suppose to send?

DocWheeler
01-06-2015, 02:10 PM
Jimmie,

The casting has a tapered hole for a flat-head machine screw if I remember correctly.
Pressure and vibration caused this "wedge" to crack the casting at this point - again trying to remember.
So, any washer would work although a countersunk one that fits the screw would be best.
In reality, I think that a round-head screw and a regular washer should work if it is thick and strong enough to distribute the forces.
The ones I've seen them supply were machined flat and thicker than normal.

Mikewiz
01-06-2015, 05:48 PM
Here is a picture of the washer. Hope this helps.

Digitalwoodshop
01-07-2015, 11:37 AM
For the other users that are wondering what this is about...

The early Trucks had open slots for a Z homing sensor and a hole for the Probe Data Jack that has been relocated to the side of the cover. The early trucks had a weakness in the mold leaving the bottom right rail bearing hole with a thinner casting. Over time a few cracked as the tapered screw head acted as a wedge splitting the casting. A effective first fix was to add this heavy black washer removing the wedge action and ending the splitting problem. Later the truck was re designed and casted with thicker metal in the bottom right and all holes filled in.

Heads up to LHR QA to add checking if a washer is needed in the Truck referb to CarveTite check list.

AL

jbrunot01
03-05-2015, 07:44 AM
I just replaced my Carve-Tight Spindle too. Put the new one in last evening... AGAIN... NO WASHER WITH THE KIT. My new Z truck did not have the tapper and the screws were not PHILLIPS HEAD. They were socket type shouldered machine screws...

lynnfrwd
03-05-2015, 07:47 AM
I'll check on this today.

lynnfrwd
03-05-2015, 10:11 AM
New style does not have and uses the socket screw.

jab73180
03-05-2015, 08:35 PM
The carvetight I just installed had a thicker casting. The bearings that came with it had 2 sets of screws. 1 tapered and 1 shouldered, and there was no washer. The washer is not needed when using the shouldered screw in the shouldered hole.

ktjwilliams
03-05-2015, 09:00 PM
Good info to put into memory bank ,,, To bad this bank gets robbed a lot ... Ha