PDA

View Full Version : Inlay

papawbummie
01-03-2015, 12:47 PM
what is the Best way to inlay different wood on project board(if possible) Thanks Bert

cestout
01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
There was a Tops and tricks many years ago where, I think it was Floyd, inset a piece of lighter wood to make the "Mare and Foal" pattern stand out. I recently carved out a 1/8" deep area and square up the edges with the 1/16 straight bit and cut inlays out of 1/8" plywood with the same bit. I posted that as I did it in a thread one inlay.
Clint

dbemus
01-04-2015, 02:39 PM
Haven't tried inlays myself so can't give advice. However if you type "inlay" in the search box, top right side of this page you will find a lot of discussion on this topic. Good luck!
dbemus

papawbummie
01-04-2015, 04:34 PM
Thanks Guys

liquidguitars
01-05-2015, 10:41 AM
What I do is use the 1/16 carving bit to cut out the board then cutout the inlay upside down this give a angled fit and closes any gap. One bad side is Cartwright decided to make the bit run two passes without user control ruining the process for me.

fwharris
01-05-2015, 11:39 AM
There was a Tops and tricks many years ago where, I think it was Floyd, inset a piece of lighter wood to make the "Mare and Foal" pattern stand out. I recently carved out a 1/8" deep area and square up the edges with the 1/16 straight bit and cut inlays out of 1/8" plywood with the same bit. I posted that as I did it in a thread one inlay.
Clint

Not me! I think it might have been Ken (Doc).

DocWheeler
01-05-2015, 11:57 AM
The mare and foal that I posted was not an inlay, it was a poplar on oak carve
that just left the poplar animals exposed on the oak background and frame.

I've never tried a real inlay, and with my diminishing abilities, probably never will.