PDA

View Full Version : January 2015 Project of the Month - Four Season Wall Calendar Frame

mtylerfl
01-02-2015, 04:07 PM
Hello,

A wall calendar is a fixture in most homes, but is often a little “plain”. This wall calendar frame will dress it up a bit, and features a carving design that represents the transition from one season to the next - Spring flowers, Summer sun, Autumn tree and leaves, and a Winter snowman and snowflakes!

This wall frame is open back, and simply hangs over your existing standard size
(8.5" x 17") wall calendar to give it a nice framed appearance. The overall dimensions of the frame itself are about 1.25" thick x 14" wide x 24.5" tall.

Main items you will need:
1) The Project Files (included):
• Corner_Pieces.mpc
• Top_Bottom.mpc
• Thick_Strips.mpc*
• Thin_Strips.mpc*

*These MPC’s are optional. You can use a table saw to cut these wood strips instead.

2) Boards with the following dimensions:
Corner_Pieces: 0.5" x 5.5" x 16"
Top_Bottom: 0.75" x 9" x 22"
*Thick_Strips: 0.75" x 5.5" x 27"
*Thin_Strips: 0.5" x 5.5" x 24"

Do not use boards that are smaller than specified above unless using an appropriate jig. Larger boards are fine in all cases.

3) Sandpaper, clamps, wood glue, stain and/or paint and clear finish

4) A Dremel-type rotary tool with assorted sanding wheels and bits to sand small details and speed up preparation for finishing.

Apply your choice of finish. Here’s what I used on my Four Season Wall Calendar Frame made from Select Pine:

• Two light coats of spray Shellac

• Rust Oleum Ultimate Stain - Wheat

• Several coats Krylon Clear Acrylic spray overall

This is an open back frame design, but you could very well install a backing, if desired. You could use .25"-thick hardboard or ply cut about .5" bigger than the opening, then fasten the backing with small brads.

Another option is to paint the four season carve area with acrylic craft paints of your choice, then apply a stain and wipe off to achieve a sort of “antique” effect.

dehrlich
01-02-2015, 06:06 PM
Pretty cool. What do you think something like this would sell for at craft shows?

zan29
01-02-2015, 06:20 PM
Awesome idea Michael!

mtylerfl
01-02-2015, 06:30 PM
Awesome idea Michael!

Pretty cool. What do you think something like this would sell for at craft shows?

Thank you. Hard to say what it could sell for...depends on the show, whether it is hand painted or not, etc. I'm thinking around $27 to $37, but could easily be higher at the right show, good time of year, healthy local economy and so on.

dbemus
01-03-2015, 03:19 PM
Michael,

Another very creative project! Can't wait to start carving. One for my home, one for my cottage, and one for a friend, the list goes on and on.

Thanks,
Dbemus

farmer
01-05-2015, 06:32 PM
Looks like another great one.

rickyz
01-06-2015, 11:31 AM
another awesome project.....any eta on when it will be available?....can't wait to carve it....

rickyz
01-07-2015, 08:16 PM
another awesome project.....any eta on when it will be available?....can't wait to carve it....
I see it's available for purchase....any info would be great....

BobC33
01-08-2015, 10:21 AM
It's the 8th and I don't see my POM in my email? Any hint as to when I will get it?

lynnfrwd
01-08-2015, 10:42 AM
I just talked to Chris about always having them out by the 5th. He will get it out today. This is our fault.

Smoken D
01-08-2015, 02:00 PM
Just got mine.

rickyz
01-08-2015, 05:50 PM
yay....me too....