PDA

View Full Version : Vector Art 3D Starter collection

pkunk
03-03-2007, 08:56 PM
I just couldn't resist any longer. $99 for 20 patterns!:) http://www.vectorart3d.com/Starter-Coll/
I have 4 of their patterns already at $25 ea. and love them. They carve so smooth. Take a look, & at that price you can't go wrong!:)

Bill Kearns
03-03-2007, 09:23 PM
Just looked at the Vector offer and am certainly going to order it for that price. Have been using my CW for two weeks now (13 projects) and it has run flawless. I hope that Vector will include more military designs in their future. Thanks for that heads up.

Bill

Gary
03-03-2007, 10:09 PM
I also ordered the starter kit after ordering a few individual patterns. Very nice!

Gary

BobHill
03-04-2007, 08:49 AM
For those who might be hesitent, I received mine this past week, and well worth the money.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

Rickrljones
03-04-2007, 02:16 PM
Just received my Starter Collection and Animals 1 by Jules, plus downloaded other models from VA3D, pleased with everyone I've carved so far... The indepth detail plus not having to sand the project much really makes it a nice peice to own... Excellent value for the bucks...

cajunpen
03-04-2007, 03:11 PM
I got my Starter kit last week, along with a few downloads. I agree, they carve beautifully and you are left with only minimal sanding (if you use maple, white oak, etc). Great value for the money - and very little if any tweaking needed for great results.

Matthew
03-07-2007, 08:23 AM
I've just downloaded the sample patterns in .ptn format and imported them into Designer. Interestingly enough, they appear in the pattern list as an STL file. Is that correct? Are these STL files? If so, then are the surfaces simply defined using polygons/triangles?
My reason for asking is to clarify why the comments above reference how well these patterns carve. Is it simply because of the careful design of the patterns or is there some "Vector"ing involved in these patterns? When I carved the sample, it seemed to carve in the same fashion as any other pattern and had about the same amount of burrs as other patterns. Hardly any burring in the open areas, but a fair amount in areas of moderate detail and small corners. Of course, the sample patterns don't have that much fine detail.
Does the resulting carving look any better than one that was probed?

BobHill
03-07-2007, 08:54 AM
Matthew,

Did you follow these instructions?

"Before you are able to download these you will need to create a user account (http://www.vectorart3d.com/store/index.cfm?Fuseaction=LogIn) with a valid email address so we can e-mail the download link to you."

Bob

HandTurnedMaple
03-07-2007, 09:13 AM
All VA3D patterns import with the name STL, it doesn't seem to mean anything. Just change the name once you import.

They carve beautifully, and better than most scanned pattern IMHO because scanned patterns always seem to have a textured surface.

Matthew
03-07-2007, 09:29 AM
Bob,
Yes, I created the account, but I never received an email. Once I had created the account though, it took me to a new web page where I was able to select the version that I wanted to download. I downloaded the CarveWright versions which where .ptn files. The one I imported and carved was 33926M_A.ptn which was 131KB in size. I imported into Designer 1.115.
I've just now tried logging in at the VA3D site. Upon login it took me to the Returning Customer page and there is a link to Download Free 3D Models which I followed and it took me to the same page I used yesterday. I tried downloading one file again and it appears that I've gotten the same file again.
I've verified the email address is correct. I wouldn't expect to get an email with different link than the link I get when I login to the account, especially since you can't download anything until you're logged in.
To clarify how I imported, I brought up the pattern list, right-clicked on Favorites and selected Import. The file filter was set to PTN files so I located the one I downloaded and selected it. It was added to the Favorites list, but the name of it was "STL File" rather than something meaningful. Upon inspecting the top of the binary file, it appears that there's a field in the file for the name and the name is "STL File".

With that cleared up, are you getting something different than what I described?

Thanks,
Matthew

HandTurnedMaple
03-07-2007, 09:38 AM
It sounds like you did everything right. And those are the results. There are 2 free patterns in 3 styles and 4 formats. The free patterns are downloaded from the VA3D site, purchased patterns are downloaded from an email link, and collections are mailed out on DVD.

All VA3D files I've ever used import to Designer with the name STL.

Matthew
03-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Cool. I'm planning on getting the starter collection because I really like the patterns and they do look quite nice. I wouldn't go so far as to say they look better than the standard library that come swith designer or that they cut any better, but they are certainly very nice and well worth the price even if I only use a few of them. Designing by hand or probing something like that would take some time. Seems like a nice package. My order will be going out soon!

Cheers!

FINGERS
03-07-2007, 01:04 PM
The starter set is a good deal some nice models in it I got the animal collection and after some tweeking of the depth and hight you make the models look like they can jump rite out at you.

Chipper
03-11-2007, 12:24 PM
A question for those that have ordered the starter collection. How long did it take to ship from the time you ordered it until you received it? I plan to order the kit but there is a pattern in there that I need ASAP. If it takes a long time to ship I'll have to download that one.

BobHill
03-11-2007, 12:31 PM
As I recall (which isn't always all that reliable), it took a little less than a week to get mine.

Bob Hill
Tampa Florida

pkunk
03-11-2007, 01:39 PM
A question for those that have ordered the starter collection. How long did it take to ship from the time you ordered it until you received it? I plan to order the kit but there is a pattern in there that I need ASAP. If it takes a long time to ship I'll have to download that one.
Mine took a week, but I bet if you contacted James, he'd give you the download of the one you need if you placed the order.

Chipper
03-11-2007, 01:58 PM
I don't know James.. Can you help me with the quickest way to contact him?

HandTurnedMaple
03-11-2007, 02:06 PM
info@vectorart3d.com

or you can try to pm JamesB from this forum.

cajunpen
03-11-2007, 10:09 PM
All of Vector's patterns download into Designer with the "STL" label. Don't know what that means, but like HTM said earlier, just right click on the pattern and select "Rename" and call it what you like. All of the downloads I have bought, and the Starter Set, have carved very well. If you use a soft wood like pine, you will have some fuzzy spots to clean up. Not nearly as many with hardwoods like Maple or White Oak.

HandTurnedMaple
03-11-2007, 11:07 PM
STL is a common extension for regular CAD files.

Matthew
03-12-2007, 07:14 AM
STL is a stereolithography file. Common in the CAD arena. Essentially it's points and lines. It uses polygons to define a surface. In this type of file a sphere would be represented by sets of 2D triangles. The number of triangles used determines the quality of the resulting surface.

jchilli
03-12-2007, 09:08 AM
I just ordered my starter set last week . Am very excited to try first one when they get here. Thanks all for the good information on usage of these models. keep the info comming.:D

Chipper
03-16-2007, 04:55 PM
In reading the license agreement for the Starter Collection I understand that you can't copy the CD or any files off the CD and sell or give them away. What about using the designs in carvings that will be sold at craft shows or flea markets? Is purchasing the CD enough or is written permission required from V A to sell these carved designs?

pkunk
03-16-2007, 06:01 PM
In reading the license agreement for the Starter Collection I understand that you can't copy the CD or any files off the CD and sell or give them away. What about using the designs in carvings that will be sold at craft shows or flea markets? Is purchasing the CD enough or is written permission required from V A to sell these carved designs?
Copy the files to your 'favorites' in designer-carve away-sell some. Do not give or sell the patterns.;)

Chipper
03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
I understand selling the files or a copy of the CD. I just wanted to make sure about the carved products that will be for sale. I was very impressed with V A. I ordered the CD at 9 AM Wed and did the 3 day express ground shipping. UPS dropped it off about noon today. I can't get a letter from the neighboring town that fast through the Post Office.

pkunk
03-16-2007, 06:16 PM
VA has said that selling your carvings is OK as long as they are not mass produced.

JamesB
03-16-2007, 06:46 PM
Just to add to Pkunks comment - the whole idea of the Vector Art 3D models are high quality clipart for CNC users to make finished parts to sell. Our business is to help you develop your 3D business. The collections we sell even come with simple brochures (word docs) that you can customize and print to show your potential customers what you can carve into their design. We also have a PDF catalog that you can print to show (potential) customers too.

The license does not allow you to sell/swap/transfer/give away the electronic file in any form and says that you cannot make molds/dies to mass produce parts unless you have permission from us to do so.

You can use our models to carve our parts as many times as you like on your CarveWright/CompuCarve and sell those products you have carved. Hope this makes sense, just wanted to clarify what we consider mass production.
Regards,
James

pkunk
03-16-2007, 07:00 PM
James, your timely explanation is way better than mine. Thanks :D

Kenm810
03-16-2007, 07:14 PM
I received an email today stating that my
Starter Kit was shipped today from Vector Art
I’m looking forward to digging into it.

Thanks, James

Mike
03-24-2007, 12:33 PM
I also ordered the starter kit. It should be here today I hope.

Jonnas
03-31-2007, 08:57 PM
If you are up to the challenge of converting imported images this site has some interesting art for free download

http://www.psicosonic.net/

'course I bookmarked the site pkunk listed above :)