PDA

View Full Version : Runtime error!

karossii
12-29-2014, 12:04 AM
From the first day I installed the upgraded Designer 3, I got a runtime error every now and then, usually when adding or editing text. I assumed this was due to the massive number of fonts I have installed on my system. But starting 2 days ago, I have been getting a TON of runtime errors, and crashing of the software. Like, several dozen per day. Earlier, designer crashed, I opened it up again, and it immediately crashed in the splash screen. I opened it again, it got to the interface and crashed. This happened about 10 times before I decided to restart my machine. That *seemed* to help; I got as far as opening the last project I was working on, before it crashed. The next time I ran it, I got to start a new project, open a project I had been working on, and play around with both for about 10 minutes before it crashed. Then I went back to the constant crashing in the splash screen or as soon as the gui showed. So I restarted my computer again. Checked for malware and virii. Came up clean. Ran designer, it ran for about 2 minutes of work and crashed. Then I just opened designer, but did not open a project or start a new one. Switched to my browser and left it running while I perused facebook and the internet. And it lasted all of 30 minutes before it crashed.

The errors, when I get any at all (don't get any if it crashes before the gui loads) all seem to be the same. If I encounter a different error, I will update the post here...

I am in need of designing a few projects to carve, within the next few days. It does not look like I will be able to do this.

Windows 7 Ultimate, 64 bit.
Intel Core i5 3570k @ 3.40 GHZ
32GB System RAM
GeForce GTX 660Ti, 2GB video RAM

I do not have automatic updates enabled for any software or my system, and have not recently installed any updates that I can recall. No other software on my machine is behaving erratically or crashing like this. I regularly use the entire CS6 suite Master collection (illustrator, photoshop, premiere, dreamweaver, flash, acrobat pro, soundbooth, etc.) which are fairly system and video card intensive, and have no issues with them. I play a few high end games which stress the system and video card, with no issues. I have no idea what might be going on...

bergerud
12-29-2014, 09:03 AM
Also try turning off the file preview. Under help, you can disable it.

eelamb
12-29-2014, 10:28 AM
Not sure if it makes a difference in ver 3, but this also happens if the favorites file is too large.

karossii
12-29-2014, 12:31 PM
I don't use the open with preview option, so I don't think that is a problem.

As to the favorites file... I hadn't thought about that; I did recently delete most of my favorites from there after importing them from the old version. No idea if that's related to the problem. But there are 6 items (aside from the basic patterns and the 2012 conference patterns) in my library. So I doubt that is the issue.

bergerud
12-29-2014, 12:51 PM
Have you have tried to reinstall Designer?

karossii
12-29-2014, 01:36 PM
Not yet. That's my next move.

karossii
01-01-2015, 11:48 PM
After two uninstalls and reinstalls, it seems to be stable now, except for one issue for which I think I know the problem... every time I try to decorate a vector path with text, it immediately crashes. I have already pared down my installed fonts to 3200 or so, going to try and get it down to half that number or less... I am guessing that is the culprit.