PDA

View Full Version : Assign a bit?

Canemaker
12-28-2014, 08:56 AM
I would like to assign a different bit to carve a lithophane. Does anyone how to accomplish such a feat if possible. I'm looking for a different look all together and need a different bit assignment.
Thanks John

blhutchens
12-28-2014, 09:34 AM
You can change it in board settings of the mpc but only to different carving bit.
you can also just put the bit you want in when the machine asks for the carving bit.
you may have to play with th depth and you won't be able to see the results in designer.

FWMiller
12-28-2014, 11:34 AM
You can assign any bit you want if you can make it a vector carving. I've seen some cool looking designs done this way, but not photos.

Canemaker
12-28-2014, 12:18 PM
Ok, then can I convert a photo into a vector carving?
Thanks for the other information.

FWMiller
12-28-2014, 01:01 PM
I don't think it will work well for a photo. It works best for black and white images that are suitable for making what is commonly referred to as a V-carve. The new designer 3.0 has the build in function and others have used font creator software to convert images to font glyphs and carve using centerline. It's where the V bit depth is varied to change the width of the carve at the surface. Maybe if you explain what you are trying to do someone may have other ideas. What is the other look you are trying to create?

Canemaker
12-28-2014, 03:55 PM
I'm hoping to use a small bit (not CW) to obtain greater detail in a lithophane. Maybe thinking outside of the CW box.. but if it works like I think it will, it will be of great assistance.

FWMiller
12-28-2014, 05:20 PM
You can use a finer tipped bit but you can't make the machine take finer passes than what's already available in optimal. Sounds like your only option is to put your bit in and see what the results look like.