PDA

View Full Version : Carving a wood slab

Proctorw
12-26-2014, 10:06 AM
I have seen some posts where folks have carved on wood slabs. I know you need to make a sled, but do the sides of the sled have to be the same height as the slab or can they be shorter? Any other things I need to worry about? A friend just called needing one to be carved so I thought I would find out from those who have done it before the Do's and Don'ts. As always thanks!

cestout
12-26-2014, 11:08 AM
I have not done this, but logically, the sides have to be as high as the highest part of the slab because the rollers have to ride on them.
Clint

CarverJerry
12-26-2014, 11:52 AM
Clint is right, the sides can't be lower. Can be just a bit higher but remember it may cause it to carve a bit shallow.

myshop1044
12-26-2014, 12:16 PM
This is what I did a while back, first my slab was already planed both sides, looking at the attachment(3.0) I set up a cheap sled with the overall width and length
I needed and about an 1/8" higher than the highest point of the slab. Next I measured the every inch or so, is needed up the vertical center of the slab and measured to the end of the slab.
This will give you the outer points of the slab. I transferred those points to a piece of foam that fit the sled.
This should give you an area where to place you pattern.
If you need to flatten the slab, either plane the slab or use a region that matched the insides of the sled and let the machine flatten out the high points . I used the "import an image" (3.0) from the finished slab to show you the layout
I hope this give you some help.

Proctorw
12-26-2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks for all the help. My friend has the hard part, he has to get the slab flat (or close to it). Probably work on it tomorrow or Sunday. Thanks for the advice.

dbemus
12-26-2014, 01:24 PM
Hope to see your finished project!

dbemus