PDA

View Full Version : Vector layout eating my lunch!

keninar
12-21-2014, 12:49 PM
Trying to layout what appeared to be a fairly simple project – but I am getting whipped royally! Looking for some advice on what I am doing wrong or overlooking.

Environment: Using 1.187
Board size 22.0 x 3.5 x .625
Carrier: Yes – Will be on a sled to address the “7-inch Rule”
Perspective view = OFF

Goal: 5 vertical vectors 3.0 in length, centered vertically
Vertical vectors spaced equidistant across the board
Vertical vectors separated by 4.813 (4 13/16)

Will assign the 90 degree bit to the vertical lines, essentially creating 4 identical panels, each with a 45 degree vertical edge.

As I am working on multiples of 1/16 – I thought it prudent to set my grid at .0625 (.063 in the snap interval box). Selected Snap to Grid to honor the spacing. Selected Center Grid.

Drew my first vertical vector 0.5 inches in from the left side of the board. First concern: the grid does not end at the far left end of the board. 11 inches ( half of the board) is a multiple of 16ths – so I expected the grid to line up with the end of the board. 73499

From the first vertical vector – drew a horizontal line – snap to grip ON, assigned a length of 4.813 ( again a multiple of 16ths). My intention was to use this horizontal line as the spacing reference for my second vertical vector. Second concern: I expected the horizontal line – 4.813 from the first vertical vector – to lineup with the grid, as we are still working on multiples of 16ths. It did not. 73500

Have tried this multiple times and cannot figure out what I am missing.

Thoughts greatly appreciated!

ken (a scarecrow apparently without a brain) inar

aokweld101
12-21-2014, 01:09 PM
try using .062 grid

keninar
12-21-2014, 01:13 PM
Thanks, aokweld.

I incorrectly noted my grid a .063 in my post - it is set to .06273502

aokweld101
12-21-2014, 01:52 PM
I redone the grid at .031 works good just use the magnifying tool to get your size right also put a check mark on all the grid boxes.

blhutchens
12-21-2014, 02:03 PM
you might also try setting the length to an odd number of multiples of 1/32 to get the grid to start at the edge of the board.
I don't know why but that is the way it works.
If you center the grid and have an even multiple it should come out right but it doesnt

keninar
12-21-2014, 09:55 PM
Thanks, Brent. Seems like a fairly basic thing - the layout function - and a bit odd it doesn't work.

If this were drawn in cad - dxf - would the DXF importer read it correctly? (Don't have the DXF importer - but an interesting question.)

aokweld - set the grid to .031 and the edge of the board lined up with the grid.

Then I encountered this:73504

I can see how this could effect the visualization - but it also makes it difficult - at least for me - to know which "point" is correct.

Guess I'll go back to the tablesaw and dadoes for this project. Too bad - seemed tailor made for the CW.

Thanks for your input

keninar

bergerud
12-21-2014, 10:30 PM
You have to type fractions into the edit boxes! 0.063 is not 1/16. Type in 1/16. The edit box will display 0.063 but it will be 1/16 if you type in the fraction.

keninar
12-21-2014, 11:02 PM
Sir - Did that as well (Trying to explore as many bases as possible).

Same result. Whether the grid is set to 1/6th or 1/32th (or decimal, for that matter) - a 4 13/16ths ( or decimal) line does not end up on an intersection of the grid (snap to grid on).
Am I missing something here?

Irregular grid confusing me as well.

Thanks for the input.

k

bergerud
12-21-2014, 11:31 PM
I use the snap grid all the time. You have to type the fractions. When I use the fractions, it all lines up for me. One has to be careful. If I recall, opening the snap dialog again after using a fraction not only displays the decimal approximation, but will reset the snap to the approximation in the edit box. You may need to retype the fraction each time you reopen the snap dialog box. (I am on the road and have no Designer to test what I say.)

Try it again. I know it works for me. (Also, look at the label sizes on the lines and not the sizes in the tool bar edit boxes.)

DickB
12-22-2014, 08:01 AM
I would use constraints instead of snap.

I first drew a single vertical line, holding the Ctrl key while drawing to ensure the line is at 90 degrees. I then set the length to 3". I right-clicked on the centerpoint of the line to set it horizontally and vertically to 0.0. Then I copied the line and moved it to the left. This time I set the constraints to 0.0 and 4.813. Repeated using 0.00 and 9.625. Finally mirrored the left two lines, then assigned the 90 degree v bit to all.

SteveNelson46
12-22-2014, 08:15 AM
If you have the 2D advanced drawing add-on package you can use the "Copy Offset" tool. Number of copies = 4. Spacing = 4.813

keninar
12-22-2014, 08:16 AM
Gentlemen - Thanks for taking time to respond.

Bergerud - Will give it another go. You have introduced a couple of variations I missed in the reading. Thanks!

DickB - Using the constraint approach never occurred to me - Perhaps because it is much too logical!
(Pattern appreciated as well - task now to see if I can replicate it!)

Thanks for the willingness to ride this one out. In my opinion, that is a strength of this forum, coupled with the willingness of the veterans to share their expertise.

Until I am able to return the favor,

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

keninar

keninar
12-22-2014, 09:16 AM
Steve,
Missed your post when I may my response. Unfortunately, I don't have the 21D advanced package (still working on understanding the Basic Designer - or rather - learning how to work-around to ge the things I visualize.) But for those that do - this post represents another point of "guidance for the masses."

Sometimes just can't get there - but a great mental exercise.

Thanks!!

keninar

dltccf
12-22-2014, 01:43 PM
I would use constraints instead of snap.

I first drew a single vertical line, holding the Ctrl key while drawing to ensure the line is at 90 degrees.

I didn't know about the ctrl key for vertical and horizontal lines. That is a huge timesaver. This is one of those things that makes this forum so valuable. Thanks for mentioning it DickB.

dave

lynnfrwd
12-22-2014, 01:48 PM
I didn't know about the ctrl key for vertical and horizontal lines. That is a huge timesaver. This is one of those things that makes this forum so valuable. Thanks for mentioning it DickB.

dave

I think it is a standard in keystrokes for graphic design software packages. I think many are used in our software, but don't know that it is documented anywhere.

dltccf
12-22-2014, 01:59 PM
I think it is a standard in keystrokes for graphic design software packages. I think many are used in our software, but don't know that it is documented anywhere.

Naturally, I immediately tried the alt and shift and they didn't seem to do anything. Any other undocumented standard keystrokes we should know about?

lynnfrwd
12-22-2014, 02:00 PM
Naturally, I immediately tried the alt and shift and they didn't seem to do anything. Any other undocumented standard keystrokes we should know about?

Probably, but that doesn't mean I know them...

dltccf
12-22-2014, 02:09 PM
Probably, but that doesn't mean I know them...

Fair enough, still that one alone is something I will be using a lot. I probably wouldn't appreciate it as much if I hadn't spent so much time zooming in and out and trying to get it just right to get it just right.

perhaps a little googling is in order? Let's see what graphic design keyboard shortcuts yields?