PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions

Roy Fleshman
12-20-2014, 09:02 PM
I noticed this a few minutes ago. Took the closest photo i could take and still stay in focus. The black wire looks like it could have rubbed it, but it doesn't look like it. The copper sheathing is not damaged. The rubber is almost too hot to touch, but not quite. Any suggestions. I am at 100 hours motor time and have done the recommended services per eaxh hour. I use the lubricant I purchased from Carvewright.. Thanks.

cjudas
12-20-2014, 10:25 PM
Maybe I'm wrong but I think you are supposed to take that wire support off. Leaving it on would cause pressure points and undue wear. I'm fairly new to this so lets see what the experts say.....

Roy Fleshman
12-20-2014, 10:40 PM
I guess that is a possibility. I thought it was part of the canble assembly. I remember there was a twist tie, I removed. I thought that is what I need to remove. I will check it out tomorrow. Thanks

bjbethke
12-21-2014, 07:40 AM
I noticed this a few minutes ago. Took the closest photo i could take and still stay in focus. The black wire looks like it could have rubbed it, but it doesn't look like it. The copper sheathing is not damaged. The rubber is almost too hot to touch, but not quite. Any suggestions. I am at 100 hours motor time and have done the recommended services per eaxh hour. I use the lubricant I purchased from Carvewright.. Thanks.

There is too much tension on that spring. Grab-A-Hold the end of that spring and pull it down till it just does not touch. The spring is there to stabilize the flex shaft. I use a Moly grease that I use on my Tractor Back-hoe, I buy it from Walmart. I only need to use it about once a year. You may need a new Flex Shaft. The inter core may be dented.

zan29
12-21-2014, 08:36 AM
I think there's a mouse in your shop..........:D

DocWheeler
12-21-2014, 11:10 AM
I bend the end down a little so that the flex-shaft is cradled in it.
The contacts are moved a bit but it helps keep the support under the flex-shaft.

Also, try using some heaver grease (like cam-lube) on the core to lubricate that wear point.

Roy Fleshman
12-21-2014, 03:05 PM
Great input Doc. I went ahead re lubbed and bent the wire. So far no problems after another two hours of carving/ Also no heat in the rubber. It must of rubbed and I didn't notice it for a bit. Appreciate all the advice and input. And yes I have a few mice here. But there is a lot of other stuff to eat, so I doubt they were the issue.

ktjwilliams
12-21-2014, 08:43 PM
Glad to hear you have it up and running !! Just a FYI , I haven't used the spring in the flex shaft in a long long time,,, runs cool as can be N no extra wear on any of the other parts,,, Go figure ...

CarverJerry
12-22-2014, 03:31 PM
I have also never used that spring on the flex shaft and I have no heat problems.

ktjwilliams
12-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Jerry ,,, I only had heat problems when I used the spring ... Ha