PDA

View Full Version : Support for Plaque

want2b
12-20-2014, 07:30 PM
Plaqiarized a frig magnet to make a gift. Apologise, I typed as I read it and did not catch the missing space on 'cannot'. Spotted it when I pulled it out of the carver. Anyway, I wanted to give the option of either a wall hangable or table/shelf use for display. Finally came up with this setup, probably somebody has already posted it but thought I would share.
Basically I used my Kreg single pocket hole tool to drill an angled hole in the back of the plaque and used a 3/8" dowel for a support. I clamped the end of the jig 1/2" below the top edge of the board and drilled the hole using the Kreg bit with the stop I already had in place. I picked the 1/2" distance so the tip of the Kreg drill bit would not pop out the top edge. Inserted a dowel and then laid the plaque on its' side, placed a straight edge along the bottom of the plaque across the dowel and made a best guess as to where to cut the dowel by looking at the angle the top was showing.. The plaque is 9" tall and the dowel is 8 3/4" long. Don't know if there is a formula, probably some of our math wizards could fiqure it out using the angles but the guess seems to work OK. Anyway pics below, seems like an easy and inexpensive way to provide an option.
Rick H

FWMiller
12-20-2014, 07:35 PM
Great idea for the kick stand. I might try that myself.

henry1
12-20-2014, 07:43 PM
I like that ideal thx for showing it most likely will use it now why didn't think of that

Dale
12-20-2014, 07:51 PM
unique idea! I'm surprised that Kreg does not use that in there advertisement.

CNC Carver
12-20-2014, 08:20 PM
Great idea. That will help me push for a reason to buy a new tool! :)

Mike1
12-21-2014, 04:41 AM
good idea, now make a jig and patten it ;-)