PDA

View Full Version : Missing Bushing on Shaft

DWD
03-03-2007, 01:53 PM
After some maintenance, when I was putting the shaft back I realized I had not captured the little bushing. Pretty good chance my goat ate it cause I can not find it.

Will someone tell me what kind of result can I expect from using the machie without the bushing? is this one of the items we can purchase?

I do not want to create a problem.

Thanks Dan

Jeff_Birt
03-03-2007, 03:03 PM
Dan, any chance of posting a picture of what shaft you are speaking of? I'm sure you can get any parts you need from CW.

fozziebo
03-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Ah... the brass bushing perhaps? Let me tell you , I am on my third one (CW) sent me a few after my first problem. My machine suddenly bogged down and the bit stopped spinning....however, the motor continued on until I opened the cover. Too late, the bit was broken. CW instructed me to find some brass tubing at a Hobby Lobby but no luck....so, they sent me a few. Thet are a square piece, about 1/8 inch thick which slides onto the end of the flexshaft before you put it in. This engages the flexshaft to the cutting head. I'd hate to try to run without one. Mine has done this 3 times now , even with the new bushings inserted. It always happens when I use the centerline feature and have broken both a 60 degree and a 90 degree bit. I am now waiting for a callback since Thursday from CW to figure my next step. I am suspecting that maybe the inside of the cutting head was "stripped" during the first mishap and cannot take much torsion before it slips out. I had really become comfortable starting up this machine and walking away.... but after watching bits break and realizing the damage that might have been had I not been there to stop it, I will NEVER leave it unattended again. (Unless the CW boys can give me better reassurance as to the cure)
P.S. Can someone remove their flexshaft and tell me if the hole that it inserts into is square (to fit the square shaft ) or round (which mine seems to be)? Thank you in advance

The Bard
03-03-2007, 11:45 PM
you have a beta machine. 99% of the people here have a Sears machine. They are different versions. They'll have a square hole in both ends and no bushing. I am the one who actually cut those for the old machines LOL *bows*. We might have some around still since I cut a lot and put them in a baggie. If you were on our call back list you were called back. If we cannot leave a message we try three times and then hope you'll get with us.

PM me with your name and Monday I'll dig you up and see what happened.

Thanx.