PDA

View Full Version : Copy Offset not working right

tedis
12-19-2014, 09:07 AM
Newbie Alert!

I've carved patterns I've bought or found here and made minor adjustments to them, but never created anything from scratch.

I imported a couple of dxf files and brought them into designer. I got them all positioned the way I wanted and everything was good.
My graphics program broke up my dxf file in to pieces, so I have lots of items in the carve list. I did a test carve and it came out the way I wanted

So now I want to copy what I have and set up 16 or so on the board. I tried the copy offset, but it doesn't position them right - the face ends up off of the lamb and the hole isn't in the same place.
I tried copying and pasting but that doesn't seem to work at all. I select everything, but it won't let me move it.

I tried making it into a pattern, but then I think it wants to do a raster carve instead of just cutting.

Any ideas how I can fix this.

Thanks,
Trevor

bergerud
12-19-2014, 09:36 AM
Patterns are raster carves. When you imported this through the DXF importer, I think you missed the auto connect feature. Things would be a lot simpler if all those little pieces would get connected.

As for the copy offset, the problem is simply that the outline is centered both vertically and horizontally. Uncenter. (Why is is not in the center of the board is strange.)

tedis
12-19-2014, 10:46 AM
I'll definitely remember the auto connect next time.

I turned off center on the outline and then copy offset worked.

Thanks.

Well, I'm off to count sheep :)

bergerud
12-19-2014, 10:58 AM
The problem with not using the auto connect is that you have many small segments and single points. Each of these will be a separate curve to be cut. They will be cut in some unknown order. It will take much longer and the result will not be as smooth.

If you go under the view menu,Toggle Non-Endpoints, you will see all of the endpoints. By click-hold-move the mouse, you can connect them. (I would just re-import the DXF.)

tedis
12-19-2014, 11:33 AM
ok, will do.

Thanks

bergerud
12-19-2014, 11:55 AM
It should be more like this.

tedis
12-19-2014, 12:19 PM
That's perfect.
Thank you!!!!