PDA

View Full Version : Help With Laying Out Pattern

dcj
12-17-2014, 06:53 PM
I do not do a lot of design work and am just have the basics in the designer program. I want to buy the zebra picture in the carve store put it on the board multiple times, and have the board cut around it so the pattern is about 1/4 inch above. I don't know how to adjust the depth. the board will be about 88 inches by 8 inches by 3/4.

fwharris
12-17-2014, 07:20 PM
Read through this tips n tricks. Let us know if you have any questions..

http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWright_Tips_and_Tricks_Mar08.pdf

dcj
12-17-2014, 07:55 PM
I worked at it and remembered. Thanks.

bergerud
12-17-2014, 08:44 PM
I played a little with your original Zebra pattern. I puffed them.

aokweld101
12-17-2014, 10:13 PM
I worked off Dan's pattern I'm not trying to out do Dan, He has taught me just about every thing I know and has answered all my dumb questions. My hat is off for Dan, It all has the way you think it looks like to you when its done I like using the merge tool.

bergerud
12-18-2014, 12:07 AM
You give me too much credit. What you have done looks great. I thought dcj might rather use the original Zebras that the lady gave him than a different pattern. I hope he likes what you did. (But, it is not in 1.187!)

dcj
12-18-2014, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the fixes guys. It is very much appreiciated. I can not open the one done by aokweld101 as it said created by software newer than mine

aokweld101
12-18-2014, 09:52 AM
I seem to can't figure it out to come up with the 1.187 maybe Dan can help me out..

bergerud
12-18-2014, 10:15 AM
First you have to extract the pattern(s) from the mpc in the version of Designer the mpc is in. (with a pattern selected, Tools - Extract Patterns) With the patterns now in your favorites they can be used in 1.187. Open 1.187, start a new project and use the pattern(s). (redo what you did before)

aokweld101
12-18-2014, 10:53 AM
Dan I followed your instructions and I don't know if I have it right when I think I have it in 1.187 the screen is in 2.007 when it comes up... does it do that because the 2.007 is the default program ?

bergerud
12-18-2014, 11:30 AM
Yes, 2.007 would be the default. (The last Designer installed will be the default.) You would have to open 1.187 first and then open the mpc from inside 1.187. Double clicking on the an mpc or ptn in Explorer will cause the default program to open the file.

As long as you saved the mpc in 1.187, it will be 1.187 format.

aokweld101
12-18-2014, 04:12 PM
WARNING:.... this is a test for the emergency pattern broadcast system....... did it work ?

CNC Carver
12-18-2014, 04:20 PM
Worked with 1.87. Very good work.

WARNING:.... this is a test for the emergency pattern broadcast system....... did it work ?

aokweld101
12-18-2014, 04:28 PM
Thank you, cnc carver for the reply. I've been trying to learn some 3rd party software and it is not easy one thinks. Its like starting the carvewright programs not having a clue on what button to push.

dcj
12-18-2014, 05:09 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I just came home from work. I laid out board and will start carving in am, this looks very nice. Thanks again and I will let you know how Ilsa likes it. One other question, on best quality, it takes 10.5 hours. Can you pause a carving and then come back later and restart with no problems. In case I wanted to start this evening for a few hours and finish in AM.
Dave

aokweld101
12-18-2014, 06:58 PM
it's been awhile since I've done that... lift your lid and when your ready to start put lid down and push start.

fwharris
12-18-2014, 08:05 PM
Thanks gentlemen, I just came home from work. I laid out board and will start carving in am, this looks very nice. Thanks again and I will let you know how Ilsa likes it. One other question, on best quality, it takes 10.5 hours. Can you pause a carving and then come back later and restart with no problems. In case I wanted to start this evening for a few hours and finish in AM.
Dave

yes you can pause a carving. Just press the stop button once to pause the process and for added safety raise the clear cover.
When ready to start up, close the cover. You will see a prompt about the cover being open, press yes. Then the prompt to continue or abort. Press yes to continue.

dcj
01-08-2015, 11:00 PM
The carving came out nice, but, it was a pain in the blank. It was an 8 ft carving and on the best quality was 21 hours. Never got done as it was one axis stall after another. Board was hardwood and I determined it was just to heavy for this fragile little machine to handle (the board was supported well with my shop rollers). I cut it into 3 sections and they all carved fine (7 hours each). However, each carving carved a slightly different size for whatever reason, same carving layout on each of the three pieces.

mtylerfl
01-09-2015, 11:02 AM
The carving came out nice, but, it was a pain in the blank. It was an 8 ft carving and on the best quality was 21 hours. Never got done as it was one axis stall after another. Board was hardwood and I determined it was just to heavy for this fragile little machine to handle (the board was supported well with my shop rollers). I cut it into 3 sections and they all carved fine (7 hours each). However, each carving carved a slightly different size for whatever reason, same carving layout on each of the three pieces.

Howdy,

If they came out different sizes, then you allowed scaling during the initial project setup. If you don't allow scaling, they will come out at exactly the right size. Perhaps the following article may help you avoid that in the future:

Scaling and How to Avoid It! – ISSUE 18 March 2009 (http://www.carvewright.com/assets/tips/CarveWrightTips_and_Tricks_Mar09.pdf)