PDA

View Full Version : joining boards

PDunn
12-16-2014, 08:18 AM
7338473385can anyone give me some advice on how to make a line in the center of the 2 boards go away , I did a 28 wide carve in pine and the line bleeds thru after a dark maple stain was applied , I did the usual bisket join and glue , sanded the areas after it dried , and it looked good till the stain was applied , now I have a 28x36 carve with a line , I also used some wood filler , but it added to insult ill send a picture of the area

blhutchens
12-16-2014, 08:33 AM
I have run into the same problem before. In your case it looks like glue. I keep a wet rag to wipe the glue as it gushes out.
Only thing is you almost have to wipe the entire project down or the water will change the color too.
in your case where its already done scraping seems to work better than anything i have tried.
It gets the glue off the surface and opens the pours of the wood so it will take stain.

PDunn
12-16-2014, 08:43 AM
so scrape the area down may help

blhutchens
12-16-2014, 08:58 AM
no promises but it has worked for me when I got glue on something

SteveNelson46
12-16-2014, 10:10 AM
Assuming you have good joint surfaces to begin with, wipe the joint with a wet paper towel to remove any glue squeeze out. After the glue is dry, wipe the joint again with alcohol or naptha. That should show you if there is any glue residue. You may have to surface-sand the board. I always run the glued board through s drum sander to remove about 1/32" (1/64" on both sides).

RogerB
12-16-2014, 04:18 PM
There is a way to repair this. Use a piece of metal strapping and scrape the joint. U can cut the strap any size or shape.
u can add a little stain to your glue but it will be darker on the joint if you add to much.